Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

import CADDS5

AHA-D

Hi,

I can't find any way to actually import CADDS5 information into ProE. I've read the help back and forth and I don't get a grip on it.

All I read is that it's supposed to use ATB. I can find ATB commands in the file menu to update, but not any to actually link to a drawing. As far as I can see on the system here CADDS5 info is not presented as a filename but rather as a directory with the partname and a number of subdirectory underneath holding (I presume) the actual data. When using 'file open' all options show file extensions, there is no explicit option for CADDS, neither does "all files" (*.*) lead anywhere.

I've gotten ProE files here that actually show an ATB-feature at the start of the model tree, but for the life of me I can't find any way to create one myself.

Getting really desperate ...
smiley11.gif

Alex

Alex,

You are correct that the CADDS data files are located under subdirectories. The subdirectories are the name of the part/design that was created in CADDS. Under the subdirectories are various data files, the most important being the _pd, which holds the explicit part entities (Model & Draw mode) and also an _fd file, which if present holds parametric model data. (there may also be an _db associated with the part which is used by CAMU for assembly data).

I'm not a Pro/E user myself, so I can't tell you if you need to use the ATB, or just IGES out of CADDS, and then IGES into Pro/E.

We do offer a low-cost CADDS view, print and markup tool, which also has a DXF translator. Our DraftView product reads the CADDS database directly. You can get more info or try a demo here:

http://www.draftware.com/dvcaddshome.htm

Thanks,

-Steve

Hey Alex -

With ProE, you used to be able to exchange 3D CAD data between ProE and CADDS v5 by having a license in ProE for a feature called "Pro/INTERFACE for CADDS 5". However, I do not see it listed on the "Data Exchange" section of PTC's website for ProE modules. This may be because it is no longer supported in recent ProE WF editions (although I can find no official documents from PTC's knowledege base confirming this) or its a PR move to get people away from CADDS (as PTC support is less than enthusiastic for CADDS). Below is the website for your own information:

[url]http://www.ptc.com/products/disciplines/data_exchange/index. htm[/url]

Remember, however, with a license to this interface module (Pro/INTERFACE for CADDS 5), you need to set the "intf_cadds_version" config.pro option to the CADDS version 5 release (12 or 13) to import 3D CAD data. You may only export parts to CADDS v12 or later but you may import data from v12 and earlier. More can be found in the ProE WF 2.0 help.

Hope this helps.

I don't know the first thing about all this, just a curiosity ...

> This may be because it is no longer
> supported in recent ProE WF editions

I think it's included with Foundation.
Lists on my installation anyway.

ProUser.org has a CADDS forum (look for "CV"?) if it's any help.

AHA-D said:
Hi,

I can't find any way to actually import CADDS5 information into ProE. I've read the help back and forth and I don't get a grip on it.

All I read is that it's supposed to use ATB. I can find ATB commands in the file menu to update, but not any to actually link to a drawing. As far as I can see on the system here CADDS5 info is not presented as a filename but rather as a directory with the partname and a number of subdirectory underneath holding (I presume) the actual data. When using 'file open' all options show file extensions, there is no explicit option for CADDS, neither does "all files" (*.*) lead anywhere.

I've gotten ProE files here that actually show an ATB-feature at the start of the model tree, but for the life of me I can't find any way to create one myself.

Getting really desperate ...
smiley11.gif

Alex

Alex,

You need to log a call to Tech support to get access to PTC:s Project Link. There's a folder where you can download the Pro-Cadds interface for the correct release and date code of your ProE and install it on your computer.

This is for Windows. On Unix it's included as an option on standard install.

Magnus

View attachment 2728

Alex,

One more thing. I noticed that you wrote "but not any to actually link to a drawing" in your first post. It's only possible to open models with the Pro-Cadds interface. It doesn't support the drawings as acook also said.

Draftware seems very good at viewing Cadds drawings directly. One option we're looking at is exporting the drawing from Draftware as DXF and then importing it to ProE.

Magnus

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back