Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Anyone trying to run RSD 5.x?

jabbadeus

In early build codes of RSD 6.0 (M020 and prior) there was a timeout issue that could be resolved with a patch. That issue is not present in M030 and later (M040 is the latest build code).

I was trying to run RSD 5.6 M2005200, and it appears that that version is also plagued by the timeout issue. I get the "Unable to obtain license issue" error message and cannot start RSD. I tried the RSD 6.0 F000 patch and got past the splash screen, but the UI was locked up because of an endless streaming loop of errors in the message area.

Is anyone here running RSD 5.6 or earlier versions? If so, how? About the only resolution I can think of at this point is rolling my computer clock back, but I'd hate to have to do that every time I run RSD.

A bit of a silly question but why are you running RSD 5, it is not supported and is missing out on many great enhancement?

I know, I know. I've got both 5.6 and 6.0 installed. I'm an instructor, and PTC's courseware (manuals and files) are based on 5.0. Sometimes the discrepancies between versions makes it prohibitively difficult to teach using a different version of the software, so I was trying to see if it would be easier simply to do the class in the earlier version.

Different course. I'm not talking about the RSD class. There are other classes that use RSD, and they are based on version 5. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

So please enlighten me as to which course it is so I can look into it. In my mind you should not be training customers on software that is not supported

Why, are you a PTC person?

Trust me, there are actually a couple WF 2.0 classes still offered and supported by PTC which were designed using the 5.0 version of RSD. The WF 3.0 versions of these classes have not been released yet, and I assume when they are they will use RSD 6.0. I know the training department at PTC, the master instructors, the courseware developers, and the training managers, but since I work for a VAR, I have zero say in which classes are offered by PTC.

Erm yes I am the Product Manager for Routed Systems<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

There are 3 courses

Course 1 is for RSD (Creating Schematics using Routed Systems Designer 6.0) it is a 2 day course and has been updated for R6. If customers need to learn RSD then they should attend this course.

Course 2 is a cabling course (Modeling 3-D Electrical Wiring Harnesses with Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0)it is a 3 day course and the <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">main focus[/I][/B] is on Pro/CABLING. If the customer is going to be using RSD and Pro/Cabling then they should attend the RSD course described above. This course covers RSD for 1/2 a day, and it intended to be a refresher for RSD students or to give those who will <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">not[/B] be using RSD an appreciation for how the logical information is created. Thus whilst it is has been designed with RSD 5 it would NOTbe detrimental for the users to use RSD 6.

Course 3 is a piping course (Modeling 3-D Piping Designs with Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0) and it is the same story as the cabling design course.

Thus if your intention is to teach customers how to use;
<UL>
<LI>RSD use Course 1 (RSD 6)</LI>
<LI>RSD and Pro/CABLING use course 1 and 2 with RSD 6</LI>
<LI>Pro/CABLING only use course 2 with RSD 6 </LI>
<LI>RSD and Pro/PIPING use course 1 and 3</LI>
<LI>Pro/PIPING only use course 3</LI>[/list]

Does this Help?

Jim

Okay, cool. Yeah, it's the cabling and piping classes I'm looking at, and the instructor guides and files were written for RSD 5.0 build 2004080. Only three of the modules in T1714use RSD, and it was just module 2 (where the students are doing a bunch of stuff in RSD) that have differences between the manual and the UI.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back