Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Didive a solid face in 2

luis_arneiro

Hi everyone,
how can hi divide a solid plane face in 2 faces?
I want to apply diferent colors each other.

Best Regards
Luis Arneiro

Oh. I know what you are trying to do. A bit of work around
but what you do is offset a surface by .0004 and trim it to what you
want and color it at will.

If you dont want to offset. use Surface copy

select the surface of the part.
Control - c ,
Control - v ( SUrface copy)

then trim it any way u want. and repeat to get the other side.

I greatly miss being able to split a surface like I could in Solidworks. It's just one of the many things I've learned that was easy in SW and difficult to impossible in ProE.

You could devise an elaborate workaround to get what you want but it will take much more time. Can you not create a sketch on a plane off in space so that when you show the part on your drawing view the sketch outlines the areas to be textured? if you wanted to, you could then project that sketch onto your surface. It's not as elegant but it should get the message across.

Michael

Ive been looking to do this as well. I cant find a way. Im a new user. I have used Ideas and Ug. They had this command. I cant believe that ProE doesnt have this command. Makes me feel like Ive fallen back to a software from 20 years ago.

-

Mechanica has a feature called "surface region" that operates the same way as solidworks split curve. it's used to apply boundary conditions and loads.
i don't think such a feature is needed for solid modeling. instead i want a feature that merges two or any number of selected tangent surfaces and removes edges between them. (an approximation surface)

Yes, it's one of thoise things I miss quite a lot in ProE too. Especially e.g. when designing text and symbols on display lenses or labels. I feels stupid to have to use offset surfaces for this, when indeed I-DEAS could already do this many years ago...

As far as I know cosmetic features are just lines and e.g. cannot display blue text on a black background that can also be rendered like that.

Offset surfaces are quite annoying when rendering, because they can lead to undesired shadows when the offset distance is too large and rendering errors when the offset is too small...

Here is something I came acrossthat might be useful for putting text or other sketch features on a surface of a solid part. Use a fill, boundary, extrude surface for the feature you want to place on the surface. Create a style surface on the you are placing the text and/or other elements on. Merge the surfaces together and solidify using the replace surface with quilt option (third option on the dashboard). This allows you to specify and keep colors for individual surface elements and gets rid of the blotchiness. You can also reverse the style and fill, boundary, and etrude surface definitions but for text it will be quite a bit more work.
Edited by: kdem

If I unserstand correctly, your workaround uses 2 non-identical (but nearly identical) surfaces, so hat when the are merged the trimmed edges do not 'disappear'.
It is a smart trick, useful in some situations.
Unformatunaltely this is usually not an option for me, because I would be changing the design surface.

I always use the 'offset surface' workaround, although that's not perfect either, of course.

Could you give an example of what your design surface would be. Just trying to understand why it wouldn't work.

A typical example would be an IMD decorated display lens as used in mobile phones. A transparent, bidirectionally curved part with a decoration. The decoration would be graphics and text in different colours.

For example like this: http://www.kurz.de/kurzweb/us/home.nsf/?Open&DirectURL=F 73DE0C31468C7B3C125720C0050E11E

I want to integrate the decoration into the part as part of the design surface. I -must- use the original design surface. Changes to the design geometry are not allowed. Since the CAD data are used for tooling, the decoration cannot be shown by offsetting solid geometry.

But maybe I didn't understand exactly what you meant. Could you provide a simple example maybe?

You understood correctly. I figured it probably had to do with the type of work you do just wanted a reference to understand what you meant. I did come up with a simple example of what I was talking about. Not that it will work for what you're doing but you might be able to make a better determination after seeing it. What I noticed was if you merge say a boundary blend and a fill surface they won't keep their individual colors but will take on one surface color. Style surfaces act differently depending on how you define them and can keep individaul colors. For text or other designs on a flat surfacethat you use a fill or boundary blend if you surround the area with a style surface when you merge them they will keep their colors. Below is an example showing the merge of individual surfaces. The first shows what happens when merging a copy of the square surface (using copy then paste) and a fill surface, the surfaces take on one color. The second shows the square surface create using Style and merging the individual surface elements. They keep their colors but they are blotchy. The third shows the result after merging the surfaces (three merges) and using solidify, blotchiness is removed. If you hide the style feature text or other design will be hidden.

View attachment 4847

View attachment 4848

View attachment 4849

You could also design everything as surfaces and solidify. When you solidify the solid geometry will take on the colors of the surfaces. You could also start out with a solid blank and use solidify to remove material. Below are some pictures showing the use of style surfaces I only did one letter but it shows can be done and hopefully it will give you a better idea if it will work or not in your design process.

In this one the solid is created using merged surfaces and solidify.

View attachment 4850

View attachment 4851

In this one I started with a solid and used remove material in the solidify features.

View attachment 4852

View attachment 4853

View attachment 4854

Very interesting! I'd love to see exactly what you did.
Could you post your example files for download please?

I did these inthe student version. I'm on vacation for the next two weeks and won't have access to the commercial version until after the first of the year. Until then I can give some directions on what I did if you want to try it before I can post the files.

I have been playing around to see if I could find a way to merge two theoretically identical surfaces.

I tried creating 2 copies of a surface an making a publish geometry of each one. Then I created a new part in which I imported each surface separately by external copy geometry. I then projected a curve (a letter) an trimmed each surface, one to leave the letter, on to leave the surrounding surface. So far so good. Then I merged the two and, as expected, te surface split was lost and I got one single surface.

Then I tried offsetting one of the surfaces before trimming it 0.01 mm in one direction and then back 0.01 mm. Theoretically this gets you the original surface back again, but ProE now treats it as a new surface, keeping the surface split after merging!
smiley17.gif

So there seems to be a workaround. I'll test it some more to see if I can apply it to a real world part.

Update: The workaround seems to work well. I tried it with a solid as well, with a text containing curves inside curves (like with the letter 'O' e.g.):

* Used the design surface to create a solid
* Made a sketch with the text
* Made an extrude referencing the text sketch, cutting away from the solid, leaving recessed text.
* Created an offset surface up from the design surface 0,01 mm
* Created an offset surface down from the design surface 0,01 mm
* Made an extrude referencing the text sketch up to the last offset surface, filling the recessed text up again.
Now I have a solid, with 'complex' split surface!
smiley17.gif
Great for IMD decorated display lenses and device labels. I wish I knew this workaround 2 years ago...

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back