Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Gtols in Dimension

shkantor

Something has happen to our settings. I can'tplace a gtol in a dimension like we used to do! We can create a free note (gtol block) and place it by a dim. But when we create a dim and want to create the gtol, we want to pick axis (for reference) and then when we want to place in dim I get the error: YOU CANNOT LINK A PART/ASSEMBLY GTOL TO A DRAWING DIMENSION. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

If your drawing is an assembly drawing, all Datums that GTOLS reference must be in the assembly. It sounds to me that you are trying to put an assembly GTOL into a part dimension. I do not think this can be done. You might have tohave the part as the drawingmodel, or use assembly cuts to apply the GTOL's to.
Edited by: appinmi

appinmi is correct. Beside that, I suggest to change the "Model" to "The Drawing" in "Geometric Tolerance" window. Then you can add the GTOL to a dimension. This is what I alway do in an assembly drawing.

A little late and several versions past but this thread was a top search result in google and the solutions didnt seem to work in CREO 2.0.
I had attempted to do this for a drawing of an assembly consisting of several parts. I was only detailing the drawing and did not create the assembly.
SOLUTION:
in the assembly create 3D annotations in the "Annotate" tab making sure they are placed on the correct view plane.

After creating a diameter dimension, in the create Gtol window i was able to select the edge of the hole and place it on the created diameter dimension using the datum planes (A, B, C ect.) that were created at the assembly level.

In the drawing when selecting "Show model annotations" the diameter and gtol feature frame successfully showed in the view.

Problems i found with other solutions that involved changing configuration codes were the datum planes referenced in the frame had to be on the selected level. eg the assembly or part level. So while the frame itself was able to be placed on the dimensions it was unable to use the correct datums

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back