Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Selecting Datums for Geometric Tolerance

NASAg03

I'm trying to create a geometric tolerance, which I can do, but it won't let me select any datum planes. I checked out the help, and it told me how to do it, and I have tried it that way, but can't select the reference planes.

I am locating some cbore holes on the top of a block, with the top surface plane as Datum A (primary), front surface plane Datum B (secondary), and left side plane as Datum C (tetriciary). In the model, I created the datum plans and named them, but can't select them in my gtol.

I tried using Show / Erase to get them to pop up, but I can't select them in that mode either.

Pro/E has beat me again...
smiley18.gif

Select one plane,right-click and goto "properties". The name of the first datum should be A, and make sure to select the box "-A-" and not the "A". This will turn the plane into a datum that can be used for GTOLS. Another way to check to see if you have any realDATUMS, is while creating the GTOL, pick the "Datum Refs" tab, pick on one of the "down arrows" and it will show you all of the DATUMS that you have created. Another thing to remember, is that if your drawing has an assembly as the drawing model, all DATUMS must be assembly datums.

Now creating a datum planes or axis in part modeling.select the planes or axis rightclick-propertiesgiveA.save all then go to detailing.show & erese u get the all the dim & datums.then using frams.

You guys rock!

I tried selecting the surface and right clicking, but it wouldn't me set properties for it. But, I did let me right-click and select Properties for the datum planes I created. I changed it from "A" to "-A-" and it automatically updated my drawing with datums.

All I had to do was Erase the datums I didnt' want to see on certain views.

Now, back to GTOL's.

Thanks for all thehelp. Now I can pretend to know what I'm doing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back