Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WANT TO DEFINE NEW ROLES

Zaki

Hi Guys

I want to create roles in Ilink 3.4 like designer. actually what I want is to define new roles for draftsmen and machinist. as in our team I want to authorize a draftsmen to only create and redefine drawings only, and a machinist to create and redefine mill mfg files and get cl data out but not to allow change part and assy and other files. Is it possible??

yes

Create the roles and then assign the roles to various folders based on status and groups.

Then you can have Intralink set so whenever a machinist opens a engineering part file, it is opened as read-only, but the fixtures and nc programs are read-write.

It is a pain to setup, but it can be done. Try using a spreadsheet to capture the logic before doing the work. This is a portion of one I did for the Tool design group.

Name Folder RoleDESIGN PROTOTYPE PRODUCTION ARCHIVE
*ALL USERSView Only No Access No Access View Only View Only
*ECN View Only View Only View OnlyApprover Approver
*MFG-NCView Only View Only View Only View Only View Only
*MFG-TD Detailer Detailer View OnlyView Only View Only

Hi Looslib

I had tried, but cant understand where could I make these perameters or changes??

Hi Looslib

I cant find those things u mentioned here like production, prototype, archive etc. Plz advise me in detail what to do and how to do??

Production, prototype, archive is releaselevels. You properly have other names for the releaselevels. Or you only have one releaselevel.

WE use: Development, prototype, preproductiob. obsolete

looslib said:
Then you can have Intralink set so whenever a machinist opens a engineering part file, it is opened as read-only, but the fixtures and nc programs are read-write.

Ok I think I understand a little but is it set just by role or by somewhere else like config etc.

If someone doesn't have write access toa folder, you set the option in the configuration that no write access files are downloaded as read-only.

No, it is a menu i Intralink. If I remember correct it is call Preference.

I would advise you to take a Intralink administration training. That is a must for all administrators. Perhaps you can take in online in PTC university.

Yes it is a preference. I don't run Intralink anymore, and haven't for a year, so this is all coming from memory.

The admin course will teach you how to do all of this.

Actually I want to describe some role based restrictions. I had set release levels as initial, design, design inspection, design approved, tool design, tool approved, machining, approved and final. I would like to restrict that no machinig will start untill the level set to machine. no tool design start until design approved etc. and I am searching all these things for this. another problem is that if any body check out a part, how could we restrict him to edit part in his workspace?? If he cant check out how could he make nc mahining ?/

Once the file is checked-out, even if it was read-only, there is nothing that can prevent the user from changing it.

You can prevent him to be able to check out before releaselevel Machine. And you can prevent him to be able to check in the part. You can get this in different access rights on the folders for nc_asm and for design.parts.

Actually I am a newbie in Intralink, so I need a detailed tutorial or something to do this. Thanx for ur help

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back