Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

how to delete paramaters of a CAD Model

dsahoo_2006

Hello,

I have created a CAD Part which has my clients parameters in it. I check in the part into the Windchill system and checked it out. I save a local copy. I see that there are 14 PTC related parameters added to the CAD Part. And when I see the parameters option from Wildfire it shows that all the 14 PTC related parameters are in a Locked state.

This CAD Part has to be checked in to the clients Teamcenter Engineering (iMan) system. Is there any way we can suppress or delete these parameters and then check the part into the Teamcenter system. With the current scenario what happens is that the CAD Model goes into the TCE environment and comes out without any problem but the tessellation of the CAD Part fails so as the creation of VisView file in TCE. This fails with errors.

Is there a way that a Toolkit program can be written to suppress these PTC related parameters from the CAD Model once it is downloaded from the Windchill system.

Please let me know as this is an urgent requirement. Any help will really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Deepak

Not sure if this is what you aree talking about, but here it goes. These instructions are how to remove user defined parameters within a Pro/Engineer part for Pro/Engineer wildfire 2.0 (although previous and post versions should be very similar).

1) In the Pro/Engineer main window goto Tools->Parameters...

2) A dialog should open similar to the posted image here.

3) Select the parameter that is desired to be removed. In this case, the parameter "TITLE" is to be removed

4) Select the circled "red minus (-)" button.

5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 for every parameter to be removed.

6) Click "Ok".

7) Save the part.

I hope this is what you are talking about and I hope it helps, if not say so.

View attachment 2469

Thanks.

Hey dsahoo_2006 -

Is the parameter(s) you want to delete listed under the "Access" column of the Parameter dialog box (posted above) as LOCKED? If so, say so cause I did something once to get rid of those but its a little messy. I'll have to ask a co-worker.

Thanks.

Dear Adam,

Thanks for the response. I tried deleting from the UI but failed because all the PTC related parameters are in locked state and I can no way delete the same.

The PTC_COMMON_NAME which is the parameter that is created when creating this part has its Access as Full for which it can be deleted but all the other parameters were created from the Windchill system and once downloaded it remains locked.

Please let me know your email address and I can send you across the part to check this out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Deepak

Yeah I thought so right after I posted the first repsonse. These parameters are not supposed to be deleted.

However, I do remember circumventing them (and removing them) once before a while back (using Wildfire 1). I don't exactly remember how but I downloaded a part from the onlince PTC Pro/Library (it has these "LOCKED" parameters, including PTC_COMMON_NAME) and I'm going to try to recreate what I did.

The co-worker who helped me at the time is out today but will be in tomarrow if I cannot figure this out today. I'll look into it for ya.

Thanks.

Dear Adam,

Can this part be still usable. Will this affect at the customer site. If deletion of these parameters are solved then major hurdle of our implementation is solved. this is our top priority.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

Deepak

Well,....

I'm not going to lie to you. You are not supposed to be able to remove these parameters (at least I've never heard of an easy way to remove them). However, foolishly (so it seems), PTC did not allow any modification of these parameters only by the orignal creator.

I have circumvented this and have used the modfiied part with the deleted parameters to this day in all our designs. Never really seen any trouble with it specifically.

I'm working on it.

Thanks.

Ok-

Here's the latest. I contact my co-worker at home to see if he knew anything. He says most new parts (he thinks any Wildfire created part) have a new special security feature which will not allow our method to work anymore. He says he has tried and it has only worked on Pre-Wildfire parts (but hes not sure if we were just lucky). If our past method is used, it will break newer parts by Pro/E saying the parts are corrupted. :( However, I am still looking into this for ourselves becuase we have errors in Intralink when we attempt to save a part with weird attributes like PTC_COMMON_NAME.

I'm still tryin....

Thanks for your patience.

Ok -

This is bugging me now. I just cannot get it to work without completely corrupting the part. I am just going to call PTC tomarrow (since I have an active maintenance contract) to see if they will help me. I'll reply what I find out in this forum (if anything).

Thanks.

I posted this reply to Software Development as well but I'm putting it here for reference because it might be of interest:

As far as I know there is no way to delete Windchill parameters from a Pro/E model once it's exported out. You can delete Intralink parameters by setting the config option allow_create_pdm_param to yes but this will not work with Windchill parameters. Did you contact PTC regarding this issue?

Another question for you - why do you care if there are dormant parameters in the model? They won't cause any problems with TeamCenter because they're not being used.
Edited by: bruppert

Hi Ruppert,

Thanks for your response. I also thought so that the dormant parameters shouldnot cause any major problem but my colleague sitting at the clients place say that they are not able to tessellate. I donot know whether the tessellation failure is because of the PTC parameters.

I want to dig more onto this to find out what is the actual failure with these parameters in there. But they are also not able to give me the error log to verify.

Let me see what I can find out from them.

Thanks & Regards,

Deepak

Ok-

The person at PTC that I called said he doesn't know how. However, he said it may be found in the technical articales on the PTC support site. I am actively looking through them now.

I have posted this question on Usenet yesterday hoping for someone to give me an answer. They basically confirmed what I said. You used to be able to unlock this through the UI but in later Pro/E version (around Wildfire) you no longer can.

I am looking and I'll post the second I find something (if anything).

Thanks.

Ok-

I cannot find ANYTHING on this subject. The only thing I found through PTC support technical articles is the fact that a parameter is deemed as "Locked" by the external application that handled the object. In this case, probably PDMLink. Therefore, accroding to one of the documents, the only possible way to delete (or modify) these parameters is to return the part back to the external application. This is a new security type feature with newer implementations of PDMlink, PartsLink,...etc. This corresponds to what most of the community (and bruppert) was saying.

Sorry I could not help more.

If there is anything you want me to look for in the database, just ask or e-mail

[email protected]

Edited by: acook

Hi Adam & Ruppert,

PTC said that this issue is fixed in Build WF 2.0 M220 which is supposed to be released in the month of August 2006.

Thanks,

Deepak

Hi Adam,

We actually wanted the solution in this build. Even if PTC releases in M220 it will not be compatible with the current Windchill 7.0 M040 build. Donot know what to do about with the same.

Any alternative for this.

Thanks,

Deepak

Hey dashoo,

Well if the compatability of the WF build is in question I guess you do have another problem. It's wierd that it wouldn't be compatible, but I'm not surprised.

Technically, if this was seen as a "bug" in the previously released WF 2.0 builds and WF 2.0 M220 claims to fix it, I should be able to find some sort of reference (and hopefully a temporary workaround) somewhere. I will check and see.

Thanks.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back