Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Convert a prt model to a skeleton model

deeceetee

I have created an assembly with two .prt models at the top level of an assembly that contain datum features etc for reference by other parts in the assembly. I have been told that I should have created them as skeleton models, but cannot find if there is a way to 'convert' the satndard .prt model to skeleton models, can anyone help?

There are a few reasons why creating them as skeletons would have been helpful downstream, but there's no harm is leaving them as 'normal' parts... This is how we did things before actual skeleton parts became available.

If you really want to turn a part into a skeleton, create a new skeleton part and use the original part as the template. Then you'd need to replace your current part with the skeleton or reroute all children from one to the other.

-Brian

You can select "creat a new component in assembly*skeleton model*copy from existing", browse part that you want to itbe skeleton

Hi.

I thinkI have solution.

1) Put your skeleton part (lets say it is named as "problem-skel.prt") in some other folder (lets say "temp").

2) Open assembly you want skeleton to put into.

3) Remove from assembly all parts that use references from that skeleton part. Use SUPPRESS!!! Also, remove your skeleton part from assembly and from RAM using file--->erase... Make sure there is not skeleton named "problem-skel.prt" neither in working folder nor in memory.

4) Create, in your assembly, new skeletonnamed as theoriginal skeleton was named ("problem-skel.prt").

5) Save assembly, and remove it from memory.

6)Delete new skeleton from your working folder and copy original one from your "temp" folder.

7) Open your assembly and resume all suppressed object.

That's all.

Bit complicated but it works. I hope that my English was clear enough.

Hi all, thanks for the replies. I have tried the 'create a new component in assembly > skeleton model > copy from existing' route and a new part is created but I'm not sure if the parts undreneath reference it and would be controlled by the new skeleton.

Denis's method seems interesting but complicated, and as I have two other guy's also referencing my assembly I don't want to screw it up for them, so for now I think I will live with the 'normal' parts acting as psuedo-skeletons (as Brian suggests), and learn by the experience.

Once again, thanks for your fast replies.

Dave.

Hi.

With my method you will not screw up your model. Make a backupcopy and try.

As much as I know your components will not reference your new skeleton created with "copy from".

Pro/E will not let you simply assemble your existing part as skeleton, so you have to create new one with same name, and then (while your assembly is not in memory) replace new skeleton file with your skeleton file. There is no difference between skeleton part file and ordinary part file. Difference exist only in assembly where you use your skeleton. Even color of skeleton can be changed.

Wish you success
smiley1.gif

Hi guys,

I m a proe 2001 worker n was phobic to skeletons. After goin thru u r mails i think m gonna try a hand on it.

Cheers to all

Hello everyone,

Facing a similar issue with regular parts supposed to be skeleton parts I tried
both methods mentioned above (Fhlf71 and denisvragolan).

Denisvragolan's method could lead to loss of references, e. g. for dimensions in
drawings, because you insert a new
(different) part[/b] in the assembly and then replace it with the old one. This
means that the part gets a new internal ID[/b].

The better method is one based on the method proposed by Fhlf7. This is what I
did:

* open the assembly which contains the regular part that should be a skeleton
part (exemplary name "PART2SKEL.PRT".

* Menu: 'Insert' > 'Component' > 'Create'. Then choose 'skeleton model' and name it e. g. "TEMP.PRT".
In the next dialog choose 'copy from existing' and choose "PART2SKEL.PRT".

* Save the single part "TEMP.PRT" to disk, close the assembly without
saving and erase everything from memory.

* On your disk, rename the "TEMP.PRT" to "PART2SKEL.PRT".

* Now reopen the assembly. The original part is replaced[/b] by the new skeleton part. To Pro/E however, the internal ID[/b] of he part[/b] is the same[/b], because
Pro/E now treats the file like a new version of the same part.

* Now reorder the assembly components and if necessary update their placement references
so that the skeleton(s) are nicely ordered at the top of the model tree (as
should always be the case).

Now all references are still intact and also the drawing regenerates without
loss of references
smiley4.gif

Zestje's steps worked great for me, thanks for sharing.

A comment though, family table instances were not copied
across to the skeleton model, which wasn't a problem for me
as I simply recreated it, but is there a way to copy
everything across, instances included?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back