Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Using an axis created in an assembly

nomar116

I'm taking my first stab at animation here. I need to use a joint axis connecting two parts on which I want it to rotate. I know that if I define the axis as the connectionfor the assembly that somehow I can make it annimate motion about that axis. The problem is I have created the holes in the assembly ( it was easier to line them up this way). So..when I try to make the connection in the assembly the hole doesn't show up. What to do? Am I even in the right ballpark for this annimation?

Hi,

If you have created the holes in the assembly then you won't be able to animate the parts. You need the parts to independant of each other so that they are free to move.

In the assembly activate one of the components, then create the hole through it that you want. Open the part in a seperate window and redefine the hole removing all the referances to the assembly or the other part. Repeat for the second part.

Now redefine your assembly and delete the mate/insert/align constraints that you used to create the assembly. Add a PIN connection using the two holes and two surfaces. One part will now revolve relative to the other part in either assembly or mechanism modes.

If you have not used constraints before it is worth noting that each constraint can only be between two parts - you can't align the holes then mate to a different part.

Hope this works for you
smiley1.gif

Baptie

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back