Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

1 sub-assy, assembled 2 different ways?

JR2112

I have a sub-assembly that can be assembled 2 ways. A left-hand version and a right-hand version. The layout of the main assembly determines if we use the left-hand or right hand sub-assy. In the past I have used a family table with 2 instances named part number_L and part number_R. The new purchasing guy we have cant seem to deal with the underscore being on the BOM. It does not effect what he does AT ALL because the parts are released, ordered and received all in Microsoft Access. His suggestion is to create a new part number for one of the versions. That of course would work but only as a last resort. Each sub-assy uses the same parts they are just assembled different so I don't think there should be a new number.

I made simplifies reps but I can't figure out how to get the rep of the sub-assy to show in my main assembly. Are simplified reps the right way to approach this or is there a better way? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm using WF3.0 Foundation...No advanced assy option...No maintenance either
smiley11.gif

To change the simplified rep go under view manager, Simp Rep tab and select the Properties button at the bottom. This will show you a list of items in the Rep. You'llneed to add the assembly to the items list. Select the assembly item from the list and at the top select the Active simplied rep icon at the top and you can select a rep that is defined for the assembly.

If you detail the assemblies on the same drawingyou could use the drawing number as the part number with a dash number (suffix) for each assembly.

Frankly, I believe that you really should have a unique number for each different sub-assembly (be it with -L and -R or something else). What happens if the actual sub-assembly needs to be replaced in the field? Will it be built up on site?

Simplified reps are going to be a headache when it comes to the BOM. Remember, the master rep is going to contain all the parts, so you will end up with duplicates.

Another potential option would be to do this with explode states. If I had to go the route you are pursuing at the moment, that would be my choice. That way, all the components exist only once in the assembly. Placement is a little more complicated, but still better than the simplified rep option.

I haven't messed with the BOM portion much with Simplified Reps. so I don't know all the problems you may run into. To get the part quantities for a simplified rep you would add a column for the report quantity for each rep and set the column to report the the quantities for the reps using Column Model/Rep under the Table Regions setup menu.

In your BOM table if you are using repeat regions you can strip out the required portion of the model part number and place it in your AutoBOM using a repeat region relation. You can also set the quantity to what ever you need as well using a repeat region relation.

Brian

the assumption in this is that the autobom tableis set to show &rpt.rel.name in one column of your table for the model name

Example:

if asm_mbr_name=="modelname"

name="newname"

end if

for overiding the quantity in an autobom table for a specific item you could do the following:

bomcolumn must be- &rpt.rel.quantity for the quantity of the item

if asm_mbr_name=="modelname"

quantity="user defined value"

end if

you would then hide the unneeded item

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back