Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Obtaining PRO/Engineer Version

apilikov

Hi all. I have a big trouble with Proe. In my software I need to support all versions of Pro/E from 2001 till the newest versions. And I don't know how to determine what version of Pro/E is really installed on the machine. I'll be glad to see you opinions about this problem.
smiley19.gif

You didn't specify if you're using Pro/TOOLKIT or not so here's some techniques for both:

If you mean finding the version of Pro/E using Pro/TOOLKIT - the user_initialize function's 3rd and 4th arguments return version and build. There is a function called ProEngineerDisplaydatecodeGet but it's not valid in 2001 so you wouldn't be able to use it in your case. As long as you compile your app at the lowest release then it -should- work for the newer releases.

If you mean having your non-Toolkit program determine which version of Pro/E the user has on their system then you can have it parse the file <proe-loadpoint>\uninstall\instlog.txt . That shows the release and build.
Edited by: bruppert

Hi,

Here is the code you can get the version of application in which it is running

#include<ProToolkit.h>

int user_initialize(
int argc,/** Number of arguments**/
char *argv[],/** Pro/E arguments**/
char *proe_vsn,/** Pro/E version**/
char *build,/** Pro/E build**/
wchar_t err_buff[])/** Error buffer**/
{

printf("\n The Version:%s",proe_vsn);

return(PRO_TK_NO_ERROR);

}

void user_terminate()
{

}

With regards

Kishore V

You did not really understand me. Situation is as follows. I have DLL written by me for each version of proe. Each DLL is working in synchro mode with proe. And here is a problem. Before I can feed the proe with library I firstly must obtain the version of proe, because each my lib is linked with various versions of PRO/Toolkit. How can I get the version of proe installed without pro/Toolkit?
smiley19.gif

So we've told you how to get the version of Pro/E while it's running,using Pro/TOOLKIT and how to get the version by looking in the <proe-loadpoint>\uninstall\instlog.txt install folder.

If that's not what you're looking for please restate your problem.

Oh, I'm sorry. I was inattentive and did not notice your post. Well it is really what I need. But I have another question. How can I get <proe-loadpoint> value? I haven't seen something about it in Windows registry or system variables. Please advise something....

It's not in the Windows registry - I was just using it as a placeholer because it depends on where you chose to install Pro/E. If you don't know where Pro/E is installed then it's more difficult. There are registry entries that you might be able to use to find Pro/E but it's not that simple. They are listed under HKLM\Software\PTC\Pro/ENGINEER but then they are filed depending on the release and specifc build installed. Plus the entries might not even be there if it's run from a network or if the program was copied to the machine or moved etc. etc.

bruppert said:
It's not in the Windows registry - I was just using it as a placeholer because it depends on where you chose to install Pro/E. If you don't know where Pro/E is installed then it's more difficult. There are registry entries that you might be able to use to find Pro/E but it's not that simple. They are listed under HKLM\Software\PTC\Pro/ENGINEER but then they are filed depending on the release and specifc build installed. Plus the entries might not even be there if it's run from a network or if the program was copied to the machine or moved etc. etc.

Ok. I understand. But what you can advise besides registry? There are no info for proe2001 in registry. That's for sure. It appears only from WF and newer versions.

There is no way to automatically locate Pro/E.

Why do you have different builds of the DLL for each release of Pro/E? Can't you just use the lowest release to build your DLL and then you only need one version of it? Build it on 2001 and then it's good for WF, WF2, WF3. You'll have to test it of course but you would have to test all the different DLL's anyways.

bruppert said:
There is no way to automatically locate Pro/E.

Why do you have different builds of the DLL for each release of Pro/E? Can't you just use the lowest release to build your DLL and then you only need one version of it? Build it on 2001 and then it's good for WF, WF2, WF3. You'll have to test it of course but you would have to test all the different DLL's anyways.

You would need to test out the DLL with the newer releases butyou would have also needed to test it if you were building with the newer toolkit libraries anyways. As long as you're using functions that existed in all of the releases then this is the easiest way.

bruppert said:
You would need to test out the DLL with the newer releases butyou would have also needed to test it if you were building with the newer toolkit libraries anyways. As long as you're using functions that existed in all of the releases then this is the easiest way.

Ok. I understand. That is really the most easy way to build my application. So it was nice talking with you in this forum. I hope this is not the last my message to you.. bye.
smiley1.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back