Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly Machining

JSmith

Hi Everybody,

Well i have assembly machining question.When Ibring an assembly into pro/nc for machining, it selects surfaces from only one part & when i try to select surfaces from some other part, it gives an error message saying that " select surfaces from the same part/member". This might be a pretty simple question for you but I'm doing this type of job in pro/nc for the first time & don't know how to do this.

Any suggestion in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

John Smith

CAM Applications Engineer,

Precison Machining ltd.

U.K.

What type of cut are you trying to create ? Are you trying to select the parts for the tool path ? or to create a surface / volume to work from before creating the toolpath ?

TinaG

If you are doing volume milling it should not be a problem. If you are doing a facing operation or surfacing you would need create a seperate sequence for each part (if you are selecting the model).

However, it can be done when you create mill window or volume. Just crete a window big enough to span over your parts. (May not be the most productive way of doing things)

It is pretty easy if you want to machine different parts,. You create one sequence and then you copy the sequence and specify new refences (new surfaces or create a new window or volume)

Hope this helps a bit!

If you need help let me know

Tony

Thanx for your response. Buti need to finish surfaces of all parts in one sequence. & for this purpose I'm using surface milling sequence. The same thinghappens (i.e. error message saying that " select surfaces from the same part/member". )when i try to select surfaces from mill surface option.

John

John

When you select Surface milling pickwindow instead of the surfaces. Then in the parameters pick Check Surfaces and pick your parts. This should work.

You will get the message pick from the same member if you select Surfaces.

Hope this helps

Tony

I have done this many times. Create a "mill volume that is large enough to enclose all the surfaces that you want to machine. Then trim all of the parts that have the surfaces you want to machine from the mill volume. If you have 5 parts to machine, then it will take 5 trims. It might help to "designate" each of the parts as "reference model", but Inever had to do that.

Then create your sequence pickung the surfaces from the mill volume instead of the models.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back