Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Volume Subtraction - Pro/Engineer ?

AndySchmidt

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for looking. I have a part that has atleast a couple hundred complex 3D surfaces, and now, I want to create a mold for manufacturing. It will be great if you could point me in the right direction. This is not a one time job, and I am sure that there will be as much as four different parts (atleast as complex) in a week for me to do. I have a way to get the models, and would like to know of any volume subtraction techniques, from which I can directly subtract the model from a mold volume to get the mold I desire.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

I don't understand your question. If you have the tool design option, you can work just as you describe (create a mold volume, then subtract the ref part). You have to have a model that is solid in the first place for it to work, and I mention this because of your comment "I have a way to get the models". Can you clarify your question a little more?

Hello Tdegroot,

Thanks for your reply... I havea solid model that is created from the surfaces I mentioned. IT IS ASINGLE SOLID VOLUME, although it is an assembly of (just) two parts.

I am not aware of the tool design module... Do I have to buy it separately, or does it usually ship with Pro/ENGINEER. Please let me know and I will check that... Sorry for sounding so ignorant.... I have never done this before and it is kinda new to me. Also, it will be great if you tell me the way to do this too... may be menu paths or a macro code, or something like that will be great !

Thanks again,

Andy
< =text/>

The tool design module is an option thathas to be purchased . See the PTC website for information on this. If you do mold design all the time, it would probably be a good idea. Although simple things are fairly easy to do with this module, it would be beyond my ability to "walk you through it" . If you don't do molds all the time, just using what you already have, you could use the merge and cut out features that are available to you while working in assembly mode. They are explained in the "help" module. That's the way it was done before thetool design option. I hope this information helps you.

check the support.inf file generated by the software on install to clarify which modules you have in your proe package 9this ussually resides in your start- up directory)

hope i,ve been of some help not familiar with mold design!

Paul

Andy,

You could check your license file for Pro/Mold Design or create a new Manufacturing job, check Mold Cavity, name it, ok and see if it tells you in the message area to contact a Ptc Sales Rep.

Thanks a lot guys... I was able to get one job out, and that is why I did not post anything for a while. I haven't tried anything that is told here, but will do so very soon and let everybody know...

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INPUT!

Andy
< =text/>

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back