Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Regenerate Problems

rickv1957

Hello All,

The problem I constantly have is that after our design engineers make changes to the part, my mfg fails regeneration,(not able to create toolpath,refs are missing.Most of the time I create a cross section and then a datum curve for my trajectory.After changes are made to the model I would like to open Pro/Mfg,regenerate/normal ect. and have my datum curve regen to the new part values.

smiley19.gif
Thanks for any help,

Rick

I know how to make your life "alot" better. I used to have the same problems but I found a way to get out of it. Anything that you need to create for manufacturing don't build them connected to your reference part. I know that this removes some ties to the model but if name them and there is a change all you have to do is modify the datum or csys. The other thing you can also do is talk to the people doing the modifications to the product. Have them modify the feature not blow it away and create new one. For manufacturing these are the only things I do.

cncwhiz,

In a parametric system the force is connecting the different levels, so I don't quite agree on making "standalone" solutions.

The second part however is a golden rule : "don't delete anything you created to model if there's any chance of reusing". This goes for features and for any detail geometry or dimension usedin any feature. References are built on internal ID's. If you throw outan elementand replace it with another you get a new ID and anything can happen downstream.

Alex

You can create mill-volumes that are dimensioned from the models primary datum planes. Then trim, using the model. Use NCsequence "mill volume" with the parameter "profile only. Under sequence setup, select "exclude surfaces", and select the surfaces you don't want to follow, usually surfaces outside the model. If a designer changes the model, it may create a tool path you do not like, but it won't crash saying "unable to create tool path". If ithe tool path is not to your liking, simply redefine the mill volume, or more than likely, re-select the surfaces that you want to exclude.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back