Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Assembly to a Skeleton

peterhawkins

I am trying to assemble4 shafts with a roller end, to a skeleton surface. This is similar to a cam follower rolling on a cam surface

3 out of the 4 have assembled correctly, but the 4th insists on assembling to the wrong side of the skeleton face ( the follower roller is now inside the cam )

I get a note that states "Component has multiple solutions but will be considered fully constrained."

Can't figure this one out . The skeleton surface doesn't have a red and a yellow

side so I can't see how to control this.

BUT as y=usual I bet there's a simple solution ( but well hidden - typical Pro E!!)

smiley5.gif
View attachment 1140

hi,

there is an Option Called "Flip normal" in the edit menu,to flip the side of the Surface.

I triedto do thesame as your case.It works for me.

Only thing is i gone to assembly and re assemble the Component..

rly me whether it works.

rgds,

siva

I'm assuming that you're trying to place the follower wheel tangent to the 'cam' surface. There are many cases in Pro/E where the math can 'go sour' such that surfaces flip directions or other anomalies. The best way to prevent these 'flips' is sometimesto model things such that they can't happen...

A slightly more robust option would be to create another surface in your skeleton that is offset from the cam surface by a distance equal to the follower wheel's radius. Then assemble a point at the wheel's center to that surface (point on surface). Now there is no chance of flipping to the other side.

..just one idea.

-Brian

Brian and Siva - thanks for the information. I think the original designer was trying to use the datum surfaces of the machine to create the skeleton. Thus the surface was not dependant on bearing diameter. This means that if the design changed the skeleton was still correct. But following from your idea maybe a surface through the roller axis, assembled offset from the skeleton might do it. My trouble was that in 2 of the 3 positions, everything worked fine. It was just the one instance that was being difficult. We fluked it by assembling to another face that worked. That got the work done this time.

I am interested in how to fix it properly so that the hours don't evaporate as I struggle with what appears to be such a simple thing - very frustrating.

I found the flip normalcommand in the edit menu, but it is greyed out when I am in assembly mode or if I highlight the part. So I am not sure when this command is available and how to use it.

Perhaps you could let me know

Many thanks for your help

hi peter,

Thats a kind of good try..

Flip normal will work in part mode and It is not directly work with the Ext.copy geom fetaures. you have to create a copy of the same surface locally in the part and flip it if neceesary. Actually it will creare one more feature in the part.

As you said, Even i faced this kind of problems often, I'll try to change the contraints method to some extend.so that it wonot fail like this..

If i get something good to share in this case. I'll mail you .

thanks for your reply.

siva

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back