Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/Toolkit VS Jlink

mechtronix

Hi All,

I would like to know which tool I should use.I already use Pro/Toolkit, but for UIs, it's not that great. I don't know Java at all, but I guess it's not that hard !!!
smiley5.gif

Can you tell me Pros and Cons for each ?

You don't have to tell me that Jlink is free and Toolkit is 20K....
smiley18.gif
..Soon PTC will charge for Jlink.

Thanks

Marc-Antoine

Marc-Antoine,

The major difference between the two is the amount of functionality. Pro/Toolkit can doabout 80% of what ProE can do. Jlink and Web-Link can do about60% of what Pro/Toolkit can do. Jlink and Web-Link are build on top of Pro/Toolkit so Pro/Toolkit will always have more functionality than the other API's (with some exceptions I'm told). It's a matter of preference. I like Pro/Toolkit myself but I am trying to learn Java and Jlink because of Windchill coming down the line. It's entirely up to you.

Interesting timing..

NitroMation may be of more interest to you, for situations like this. NitroMation is a Web Service for Pro/ENGINEER - that enables you to write your application in ANY language (e.g. Visual Basic, Java, C/C++/C#, or Scripting languages like php, python, Tcl, etc..)

It was not designed to cover everything - only like 90% of what most people are trying to accomplish (e.g. working with files, family tables, parameters, etc.).

It is a very cool tool. Check it out at: http://www.nitromation.com

Dave

two differences between j-link and pro/toolkit.
if you want to create/add any features other than udf, than pro/toolkit is your guy. otherwise if you just want to modify parts/assemblies, then j-link is easy to work with.
gui is great in java. netbeans is free and j-link is free. pro/toolkit will cost you an arm and i have been trying to get it to run with vc++, no luck for 3 weeks now.

Major difference between JLink & Toolkit is that JLink is Free & Toolkit is
probably over $20, 000. I also prefer Java over C/C++.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back