Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

welds in pro/mech

mechlad311

does mechanica 2.0 assume a weld betwwen assembly parts when no fasten method is applied?

also, i would like to know how mechanica handels welds. does it take into account the penetration of the material?

specifically, i am trying to do an analysis on an object simular to the bellow picture. What methods are available for an accurate result that takes into account the weld between 2 different geometric shapes (CYLINDER-PLATE).

View attachment 176

does mechanica 2.0 assume a weld betwwen assembly parts when no fasten method is applied?

No, it does not assume.

also, i would like to know how mechanica handels welds. does it take into account the penetration of the material?

No, it does not. If there is penetration it will not be meshed and you won't get solution.

I would advice to make the model in part mode( containing both parts) and solve it. For welds look here:

http://www.elite-consulting.com/pro mechanica hints tips tricks.htm

http://www.tsdengineering.com/

Israr

Yes it does assuming that you assemble the two parts by mating them. However, depending in the load condition this method may create singular stresses at the intersection. Which are not good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welds do not take the penatration into account unless it is included in the model. Again depending in the load condition your welds may or maynot participate in the load sharing. Like in the case of cantiliver beam with perimeter weld at the junction only the upper part of the weld it is taking most of the bending and an some of the shear load while the bottom part will only take the rest shear load.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

specifically, i am trying to do an analysis on an object simular to the bellow picture. What methods are available for an accurate result that takes into account the weld between 2 different geometric shapes (CYLINDER-PLATE).

I usually place rounds instead of the well which will cover the same equivalent material as a weld. By the way this is just an approximation but I usually give me and idea what side of weld do I need.

Luis

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back