Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

ptc 2001 support

Just like I thought it would be, ptc keeps us in the dark and tells us how great it is to change to wildfire. I have been working on wildfire and 2001 to learn wildfire and and still be productive. Now we are going to put wildfire in everybodys pc and still keep 2001 to evaluate wildfire and see if we like it. I have seen some good improvements and also some changes that suck. It will take a while to check it out and find out if we want to make the change. Without solid information on how long we have to make this change by ptc this could be a problem. And what if we decide we don't want to run wildfire?

For those of us going between the two versions this is a pain in the butt.

Checking back on the buildcodes for 2001, it looks like the last buildcode was a couple months ago.

Wildfire is alot different than 2001 but I find it as stable as 2001, so with stablility not really being an issue why don't you convert only a couple users first to try it out on new products and still have the others in 2001 to keep productive. Then the users of Wildfire could help the 2001 users when they take the leap.

The main thing to get used to in Wildfire is the selection process along with where they put things but the menu mapper was a pretty good asset for that.

PTC usually supports the last 3 releases so 2001 should still be supported until WF3. However, there probably won't be any new builds of 2001.

Brad,

Thanks for the link, but it looks like only the first build will discontinue support. 2004101 and 2004090 have no discontinue date?

I think they will discontinue support for 2001 across the board in May 2005. It does look like they are planning one final maintenance release for Sept of this year. When they discontinue support, it means no more bug fixes. They will still take your phone calls and work with you on problems.

When they discontinue support, it means no more bug fixes. They will still take your phone calls and work with you on problems.

Does anyone now how long they will take calls via the phone or sent in from the web after support is discontinued?

Brad

They still try to answer problems with release 20. It can take awhile though because they don't usually have it loaded on their workstation.

I talked to ptc about this issue on friday, I was told that they would still give phone support but they are phasing out 2001. They will try to help if they can? The other issue is that if you have a bug in 2001 after the last build your stuck with it. If you are going to pay for maintenance then you should change to wildfire before the last build of 2001.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back