Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Bile Matter II

How about a mouse key combo to zoom in to an area (ctl/left button)?

Remember you can always use Make Datum in WtF by accessing the Legacy Menu.

-Bernie-

DOTF through the Legacy Menu does work ok in WF, however how long will it be a Legacy item before they eliminate it. It can't remain there indefinitely. That's the problem.

This is what Netesh Gohil, Product Manager for Core Modeling, had to say when Wild Foul was introduced:

When overhauling and simplifying control systems, it

Doug - are you wanting datums on the fly?

I have yet to understand this phenomenon... Wherever I need a datum, I just make one...

Describe to me what /how to make datums on the fly... to help me better understand your request..

I think the underlying problem with DOTF in Wildfire is that it's not the same as it was in 2001. It creates a group, which, in turn, cannot be grouped again. I use DOTF in Wildfire and it works just fine and I swear that I've done it on some features and it acts differently, I mean it doesn't group the datum and the feature. I'm going back through some of my designs now to see if I can find this phenomenon.

Steve C

As I have been reading the debate on DOTF in the forum for months now, I have a question.

I have not yet installed Wildfire. How do you create a rotational patten in Wildfire if there is no DOTF?

You can pause during the creation of the feature and create a datum or you can create the datum beforehand. I just tried it with a flat plate and a hole feature at 30

OK, I guess I don't know what a DOTF is. I thought it was the ability to create reference features that are specific to the current working feature during creation. In other words, pausing the feature creation and making a new reference, on-the-fly.

To me this is DOTF, but I understand that you seasoned veterans of Pro/E see it different. I think that if enough of you veterans speak out about NOT having DOTF, that you might see it come back in future releases of Wildfire.

Somebody once said, Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control and economically catastrophic.

Steve C

I do not believe this is not DOTF. Although swcalvert describes a pattern use you can always either pause or just click on datum icon to produce a datum. This would certainly be creating a datum on the fly and simultaneous to your feature creation without a seperate action.

In some cases I think complaints are just gossip. We can always create datums if they are that important to the design intent and then move assign a layer that makes the mess of datums you have created for features to be blanked.

Eric..

Does anyone know where I can get a Pro-E file of a spine? That is Vertebra skeleton.

Nose Bleed, check these links, they cover make-datum use with rotational patterns:

http://www.synthx.com/tom/sy_tip_0107.htm

http://www.pro-classifieds.com/portal/forum/msgDetail.asp?msg_id=2022&for_id=15

The key to understanding these is that you can place your sketch plane (or other reference planes) anywhere you choose without having to create additional parent features.

This keeps feature count down and avoids the need for using groups when patterning (both linear & rotational).

10g has a point - how does misfire handle rotational patterns ? I've been a Pro/E user since 1991 and the only safe, secure, reliable, dependable way to create these is thru the use of make-datum.

As weak as Pro/E is in dealing with Patterns and Groups piling on the DOTF was a poor choice.

I don't think DOTF will go away. That would require major recoding and all PTC is capable of is piling more code on top of what's already there. Witness the numerous issues (bugs) from 2001 that haven't been addressed.

Not being a power user I'll stay with 2001 until a new release offers basic improvements and fixes. While the wizbang stuff is, slick simple every day stuff like zoom to an area without having to click an icon prove to me that while the old Menu Manager was due for an overall there is no unified concept of how to improve the interface.

Right now it's like trying to run three different CAD systems at the same time. What's more the direction they're heading is more dialog boxes which means more shifting back and forth from keyboard to mouse picks and less screen real estate for the actual model. Sort of like Word Processing software where only 25% of the screen actually contains words!

All this is at the expense of improving basic things like datum creation methods, robust patterning (360 degress guys) and sketcher tools that are common in most basic 2D systems.

-Bernie-

>>Can you imagine what would happen to Microsoft if Microsoft Office was changed as drastically as Wildfire was...

I used Word 6.0 for DOS in college.... I'm glad they totally rewrote it with a new GUI.. :)

-Brian

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back