Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Was your post(s) written by PTC?

jcoleman

I'm trying to find users who maybe in the same situation that I'm in, or users who were in a similiar situation. Are there any users out there who program for a laser/combo machine. Amada machines in particular. Also, was your post written by PTC? I would really like to hear from you. I would like to ask a few brief questions. Thanks in advance for your help!

Posts are the worst issue in the world to resolve with PTC. It is what keeps me from using Pro Manufacturing. None of the posts they provide work without modification, and unless you know the post coding and semantics, you've got to pay more money to get a post that functions. We have wireedm and cnc but do all our programming with Mastercam, but I wish we could use ProE.

Didi they write a custom post for you? How much did it cost?

PTC has been working on a custom post for almost 9 months now. I'm not sure of the cost since it was part of the software agreement/contract. Thanks so much for your response.

John

Dear jcoleman,

My first question would be, what software are you using for the post? Is it ICAM or Inctercim G-Post? From there I would ask, what is the problem with the post? I have done implementations for sheetmetal manufacturing and never had an issue with a post. Those should be the more simple post processors to make! Do you have any out of the ordinary requirements like cycles you need to support?

I also agree with rcamp in the fact that PTC lacks support on their standard posts on the web site. If they work for one machine they should work for all. What gets difficult is capturing all of the different requirements based on what is beign manufactured and what the programmer or operator wants to see in the program. I would recommend that either yourself (rcamp) or someone who has programming knowledge (C++, fortran, etc.) go to the G-Post classes because if you do want to use Pro/E you would have someone on site that could build your post processors for the machines you have now and for future machines you may have to program. It is worth the streamlined process!!!!!

If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] for more detailed discussions.

Christopher

i use mastercam and pro/man. the problem that users of these 2 softwares always face is the damn post. we spent around $100,000 on maintenance every year and still can't have a $2000 for free.

Our Mastercam rep has never charged us for a post, and has always made sure it functions the way we want. However, I ask about an additional tweak for a macro recently and they said it would be $80. Could you imagine PTC only charging you $80 for anything?

Does anyone know if there is gpost training online or on CD?

Good Morning,

Here is the link for the PTC web site for Pro/NC. There is a lot of good stuff there as well as training. At the bottom of the page there is a link to G-Post central. I believe you will find what you are looking for there. The only thing is you need a current maintenance agreement with PTC and an online account set up with them. Good luck!

http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_24/howto/gim7903/gim7903.htm

Christopher

Yes, they're junk. That's what I'm talking about. If you can find your machine, the post still isn't ready to use with major effort and understanding of the internals of it all. Its ridiculus. I've looked all thorough the Pro/NC website and when it gets down to doing what you need to do, the stuff you need isn't there. There's several post processors with pretty pictures of machines, but nothing useful.

We have had fairly good luck with a company called Ground Support. They have made us custom posts for Pro/MAN that use extensive macros and all sorts of wierd stuff. They are a small company and aren't always super fast. I don't know if they have done any posts for combo/laser machines. If anyone is interested, I will send you their info.

One word of warning, is that they are located in the LA area and their building almost burned down in the current wildfires so I know he has other things on his mind at the moment.

http://www.procnc.com

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to respond to my question. I truly appreciated it. However, I couldn't find anyone who has had a custom post written by PTC themselves.

Thanks,

John

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back