Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Datum tag display behavior in drawings

bac478

I was surprised when I couldn't find an answer to this question so it might be an easy one. We use set datums and axes all the time for GD&T. When a set datum axis is created, it can be easily toggled on and off with axis display and it does not show up in an associated drawing without using the show/erase dialog box. Datum planes behave differently and they are a PITA in my opinion. Set datums won't toggle on and off with the plane display; this isn't a big deal, we put them on layers and hide them that way. This isn't a great solution because every time datum selection is required, which often occurs mid-operation, the layer has to be turned on first. In drawings the default behavior is that the datums tags are shown on every view to which they are normal. This applies at both the part level and at the assembly level. The result is that we get a lot of instances where a tag will show up and the drafter won't realize it because it is buried under other dimensions, or it because it was created after the drawing had been started. It also occurs when datums are added to parts and they shop up in the assembly drawing. Using layers doesn't work as well with drawings because the layer with the set datums has be to turned on and then the datums show up in all the views and anyway and have to be manually erased.

My question is this: is there a way to change the default for set datums so that they do not show in drawing views without manually using the show/erase box. Essentially I just want to change the behavior from "on until turned off" to "off until turned on". If this can't be done is there a simple workaround that anybody has come up with the address the issue?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back