Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Drawing standards set up (WF4)

steve_corner

I have been given the unpleasant job of setting up Wildfire 4 (don't ask why we cant have Creo or anything else modern) for the office with very limited training and no support.
My first task is to set dimensioning styles and text styles. Where do I find the settings for these styles? My experience is mostly Inventor, Solidworks & AutoCAD where I can just go to dim styles and text styles and work through the options, WF4 doesn't seem to have this in any of the menu's.

Pro/E configuration is totally unlike most other programs. It is designed to be very easily controlled with a number of different test files the can be easily edited either through the GUI or with simple text editors. However, they don't do much in the way of pre-configuring it for you out of the box. So many new users get very frustrated. You really need to either spend a lot of time with the software and some books or take a few courses. Otherwise you are probably going to pull your hair out and utter some curses.

That said, to answer your question, you want to create one or more drawing formats and drawing templates. The formats will have all the drawing border and and company logo stuff and the templates will include a format with default drawing views etc. One of the key things in your drawing template will be the associated drawing options. To get to this menu you RMB in the drawing with nothing pre-selected and select Properties. This brings up a menu and you select Drawing Options. This brings up a configuration window with over 100 separate settings for everything from units to arrow sizes to default fonts, etc., etc. You can save a file with your settings and open a file to retrieve your settings. Each drawing saves it's settings internally including the drawing templates. So getting the template set properly is key since those settings will transfer to every drawing you make from it.

This is just a drop in the bucket of Pro/E configuration. Once you have it figured out you will find it is a very flexible and powerful system while letting you enforce company standards and consistency, something that is impossible with saladworks and automad.

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like it's going to be a long and difficult job to do what would take me half an hour with Inventor.
I'm finding most things with Wildfire 4 to be a bit slow and unfriendly so far. Does it improve with use?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back