Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

LOCKING/GROUNDING A COMPONENT IN AN ASSY

loworange88

Hello Everyone,

I have an assembly that I am working on of a press station, I have copied the part being pressed from the overall assembly into the tooling head sub assembly as a reference. Is there a way I can "lock" that part in its relative model space, I dont want to to contrain or mate it to anything, I want it exactly where it sits, but I dont want to it to move at all. Visible only layer allows me not to select it, but I can still move it using the Reposition command.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

I don't think there is a way to "lock" this without using constraints or mating conditions. If you want it to stay where it is relative to absolute csys, you could create fixed datums at absolute and then mate your component to those.

We mainly use mating conditions but, isn't there an assembly constraint that is "fixed"? That would make your component the primary to which everything else would be contrained.

Hope this helps.

Kay,

Thanks for the tip. That is what I ended up doing, it works, I was just hoping for an "easier" way, as I run into this from time to time.

Thanks again.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back