Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Hiding Backsides?

gumby

Hello,

I am a relatively new UG user and I am moving files from X_T to UG and then creating visualization assets from them.

The question I have is

How do I hide or suppress the backsides of parts? I have seen users do this very easily, but I am having a hard time finding information about it.

Also, what is the difference between suppressing and hiding? (Sorry if this is very obvious, this terminology is new to me).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

gumby

They are called hidden lines and you can turn them off in the style menu. In your drafting view either double click on the edge of a view or right click and select style. A box comes up and you want to click on the hidden lines tab. Change the first drop down box to invisible. You can also set these style preferences as defaults in the customer preferences, but I am not going to go into that.

Thank you for the suggestion. You are talking about the way it looks in the viewport, but I am talking about actually removing the backsides from the models.

When you do renderings, you don't need all of that data in the software. it just bogs everything down.

I discovered the extract function, I was using it in combination with the angle threshold to select all the front faces and extract them, but there were two problems.

first, there was always construction history to delete every time. That is a lot of mouse clicks in HUGE data sets, and the second problem was that I'd actually like to delete them from the original without having to create a bunch of duplicates first.

Oh, one more. The angle threshold surface picker worked great, but I wanted to select more than one region at a time. (i.e. the edges of the model and the backside) but whatever I select supersedes my selection and I have to do them one at a time.

I know those processes work, but if you knew how many kajillion parts I have to skinny up, you would understand my frustration, so if anyone has anymore insights, I would appreacite any more suggestions.

Peace,
Gumby

Gumby,

You might want to point out the definition of "backside culling". Most of the CAD users I deal with consider the models to be "solid", and have little concept of the fact that all surface models are tessellated to polygons consisting of a front side and a backside, and that real-time rendering engines do not render the backside as a rule. Although backface culling can be over-ridden, and usually is in mechanical surface modeling, it sounds like what you're looking for is to turn backface culling ON in Pro-E. correct?

Where are you working on vizzies?

-Kyl

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back