Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reusing sketch

samueldips

what do i do if i want to use a similar sketch in different non- parallel planes without having to sketch and constrainthem again?

I'm using nx 3

Thnx!

First you have to constrain the original sketch in such a way that you dont encounter conflicts. I mean i will create dimensions with reference to datums.

Then you copy and paste the sketch. it will ask for references. just replace the references by picking new approppriate reference. Ex. new placement plane, horizontal ref, vertical ref etc. and you are done. the sketch will be a constrained one.

If you know ahead of time that you are goint to re-use the sketch you may want to constrain it a little differently.

I will use a fixed point on the sketch and locate the sketch using positioning constraints. This way when I Paste the sketch later the only references I need to satisfy are the placement plane and the horizontal / vertical reference. This saves me from having to satisfy any constraints to exterior objects.

Once I get the positioning dimensions to display once I have placed the sketchand orientation.
Edited by: camster

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back