Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Parametric modeling

aortega12

Hi all,
I'm a student of mechanical engineering at UTEP.

I have a question about parametric modeling. In an assembly, I want to make parametric 2 different parts (means that are from different documents, in one assembly document). Once I have my parts, I want part 1 to be parametric of part 2.

I know that both documents manage different variables, so my question is, how can I call one variable from one part to the other when I am doing the assembly?

Cheers,
Alejandro Ortega
University of Texas at El Paso.

In NX there are two ways to link parameters. Interpart expressions and WAVE geometry linking.

You can link the expressions from one part to another. For example you have a bolt in one part and a hole in another, they are both in the assembly.

If you want the bolt to control the size of the hole make the part with the hole in it the work part. find the expression for the hole and click on the create interpart reference. Choose the part file - the bolt- and then choose the expression in the bolt that you want to use. you shouuldsee something like hole_dia=bolt::shaft_dia

When you change the size of the bolt the hole should update.

With the wave linker you can link the bolt into the part where you want the hole, at the assembly level, and use it to subtract the hole shape.

Sounds simple, be careful like any powerful tool it can get you into trouble.

Check out thehlp doc's on interpart modeling

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back