Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Extract mean Surface

Pas82

Hi all,

I am new whit UG: I use UG NX1. How can I extract mean surface from a 3D model and how can I export it (for example an iges or a step file)?

Thanks for help!

Pas82!

hi friend,

u can go to insert -> surface -> midsurface.

i think u r asking this option only .

if not then explain about mean surface.

murali kishore

Extracting a midsurface from a geometry is not a simple task and depends largely on how the geometry is built.

One solution however could be to use the existing 3d surfaces, either the bottom or the top and offset them halfways inside the body. This gives you initial midsurfaces that might have gaps in between why you need to connect them to each oter using a number of techniques such as extending, extruding, bridge, sweeping to name a few.

Bodies which are revolved are quite easy to create midsurfaces for. You need to access the sketch of the revolve/create a new sketch where you sketch curves to position your midsurface between the upper and lower edges of the revolved body.

Talking about exporting you can either create a new part containing your midsurfaces by copying/waving them depending on your companies routines. You can also export them in the parasolid format, or as a step or iges file depending on what software you are going to send the data to.

Just a few suggestions,
Joru

hi,
currently im dng fluid flow analysis in ansys,i want to
extract flow volume...i heard tat in UG its simple can any
one tel me how to extract a flow volume,my model is a 3D
one...If u tel with an example of hollow pipe it ll be
better to understand

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back