Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

STEP

magesh1704

Hi
I am using ugnx2, can any one explain me what is "STEP" in file-import and export? and the purpose of STEP and how to use that?

I got this question in an interview, so please help me to improve my ug knowledge

Thanks in Advance

Magesh
smiley19.gif

STEP is just a collection of AP standards. You can find all the information you want about STEP at www.isg-scra.org. Click on Technology and then STEP. The STEP Handbook has every AP standard list.

Enjoy!

A STEP or .stp file is just another way to transfer files to and from CAD packages. This is sometimes more prefered that iges because it will output solid bodies. Im not sure what else you would need to know for an interview.

Well, it goes a little deeper than that. When someone says STEP it's not just for CAD packages. AP203, which is a STEP standard is a standard for configuration controlled 3D design. Basically, 3D geometry. You can import it into CAD packages and see the 3D geometry of the part or even run NC code to it. But the rabbit hole goes a little deeper, STEP is a collection of standards that are ment for different things.

You have Functional and Umbrella AP's:
AP202 - Associative Draughting
AP203 - Configuration controlled 3D design
AP212 - Electrotechnical Design
AP215 - Ship Arrangement
AP216 - Ship Moulded Forms
AP218 - Ship Structures
AP232 - Technical Data Packaging
AP233 - System Engineering
AP239 - Product Life Cycle Support

Also you have Commodity AP's:
AP207 - Sheet Metal (Die)
AP209 - Metal/Composites Analysis
AP210 - PCA Design & Packaging
AP214 - Core Automotive Design
AP219 - Dimensional Inspection
AP220 - PCA Process Planning
AP223 - Cast Parts
AP224 - Mechanical Product Definition
AP229 - Forged Parts
AP238 - Model for Numerical Controllers
AP240 - Process Plans for Machining

I'm not sure about UG but I know that Pro/E can export a AP203 and AP214. It does so with the extention .stp. I heard that UG might be developing a AP224 translater but I'm not sure about that. AP224 is much like AP203 in reguards to 3D geometry but what makes it different is that it gives you more information. It gives you feature information, Dimensions, Tolerances, Geometric Tolerances, Notes, Material information, Thread information, Knurl information, marking information, etc... Basically, everything you find on the print you can find in AP224. The Idea of AP224 is to have a paperless environment and something that can be archived for a longer amount of time. In today's world if someone sent you a IGES or STP, you could not really create that part without the drawing because the drawing has information that the model does not have. That's basically where AP224 comes in.

Well i see why your a Veteran! Never knew there was so much, We run UG and CatV5 and run ,im assuming only standard CAD step204 and 213. How/where is this AP224 used in CAD?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back