Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

COMPARISON

leow_john

hi all,

How to compare PRO-E to NX4

some people say a huge enhancement in NX4?

any body have sugestion?

Thanks

Stick to proe, NX3 and NX4 cannot be compared.

UG does not have associativity in the drawing mode.

nx3 and 4 large assy capabilities compared to proe, is pathetic.

ug cannot measure diameters!!!

ug cannot animate!

sorry the list goes on..

I must disagree with you on this one.

While Pro/e is a great modeling tool the associativity in UG to the drawing has always been there. What do you mean there is no associativity?

Not sure by what you mean "ug cannot measure diameters!!!" try analysis- distance- radius or simply info - object.

"ug cannot animate!" Yes it can, If you know how. Send me an e-mail and I will forward you an mpg file from ug.

regards
Edited by: camster

no offence John

By associativity in drw mode,I mean you can edit a dimension in a drawing, and the model will change. It only works the other way about. This is in nx 3. There is parametrics in the model, which will update in the drawing but no associativity. In proe you can edit a dimension in a drawing, and it will change in the model or vice versa. NX3 one cannot measure diameters, in can only measure radius's.

If you can show me how to create a mpeg file in NX3, I would be much appreciated.

Currently I model in NX 3 and animate in proe. I may be incorrect, but my collogues who have been working on ug for 6 years says it cannot be done. The only animation is using arrangements in UG, and that is not much help.

I will appreciate your feedback on animation.

[email protected]

Vinnesh

Sorry to disagree with you but it is painfully obvious that you haven't used NX3 or NX4. If you would like to make comments regarding ProE then by all means do so but when it comes to UG, it sounds like your collegues need to take some training. When you go to making comparisons from one program to another in the future I would suggest your information to be direct knowledge and not second hand knowledge.

Having said that I want to clarify that I cannot speak for ProE but I can speak for UG/NX series. Your mention that you cannot edit a dimension in a drawing and have it change the drawing is totally untrue. This is one of the basics of parametric modeling and UG was one of the first to incorporate parametric modeling within their program. As for changing a drawing and having it change a dimension, well this doesn't make much sense at all. To clarify things a bit let's remember that there is more than one way to design/develop and dimension a drawing. The right way and and all of the others. I am sure it is true with ProE as well if you are willing to admit it.

Always remember that just because one group of people do not know how to do something within a program doesn't mean the program will not do what you want it to do. Camster is probably one of the most knowledgable people on Unigraphics that I know of and I have never even met him. I have however taken most of the "beginning" classes for UG at UG facilities and the things you mention are but some of the things we learned the first week.

Larry

Hi Larry

You are absolutely right, that I have not use nx3, much. To be precise it is 2,5 months that have been using nx3. I have been using proe for 10 years. There are things that I want to do with nx 3, that I could do with proe, but I can't. The training is not adequate enough. Typical I would like to create field points in ug, and then later edit the x,y,z co-ordinates. I am told that this is not possible. I am told that i cannot edit dimensions in the drawing mode. I also have checked it out.Its still not possible. Maybe I need more training but I have been on the basic course and the advanced course. Simple things like bringing in a component into an assy, with no constraints. If I attempt to add mating conditions at a later stage, the mating contions redirect to an existing component. I now have to delete the component which I have positioned and reassemble it again. I am not arguing about Camster's knowledge on ug, which probably exceeds mine. All I want, is to do things in ug as fast and convenient as possible as I could do in proe. The frustration is that after 10 years of paramteric modeling and design, I feel like I am going backwards. Animation is also my key requirement, I have to now use 3d studio max to this, as I am told this is not possible in ug. Hence my request to Camster to help me.

No offence to the ug comunity, I just want get my work don efficiently. Hence the reason for joining this forum.

Vinnesh,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I think we are all on the same page here we need to get out jobs done easier and better.

You can edit a "sketch" dimension from the drafting application and update the model in UG. However it is not the same process as in Pro/E, or nearly as elegant.
First the dimensions in drafting must be inherited from a sketch using, insert feature parameters and selecting the sketch and the view. This will copy the sketch dimensions onto the drawing sheet.

You can then select Tools

Vinnesh

"Simple things like bringing in a component into an assy, with no constraints. If I attempt to add mating conditions at a later stage, the mating contions redirect to an existing component. I now have to delete the component which I have positioned and reassemble it again."

You can add components withoutconstraints. When you add the componensset the positiong to absolute, or re-position. This will allow you to place the component anywhere you want and move it as needed.

When you add mating conditions later you are defining the relationship between components, that's why it selects an existing component.

IMHOUG and Pro/E are both great modeling tools. They do require a change in mind set when using them. They do not behave in the same way, that's for sure.

If u pleas I want to ad to the comparison
Top Solid 2006
How far it good comparied with Pro-E and NX4.0

Like John said with UG and editing a dimension in drafting and having itchnage the model, in Pro/E you also have to set a config.pro option to allow this. Both programs can allow or disallow model changes while in drafting. Only shown dimensions in Pro/E drafting, like inheritted dimensions in NX, will drive model changes.

With NX, you can add components to your assembly and then mate them and NOT have to worry about which component was added before another one.

There is a definite mind set change when switching from one to the other, but they can both get the job done. From my experience with UG/NX, the UG/NX code is usually more complete when new features are introduced, better thought out from the system architecture side and less buggy in initial releases.

As a reference point, I have been supportting Pro/E since 2000i2 and UG/NX since V3.1.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back