Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Counterbores and bolt lengths

Dieman

Hi, I have a question regarding how to best make a hole with a counterbore.

I am a diemaker with a little experience using UG and I'm getting really frustrated trying to get the design department to see my way of thinking.

When they draw a die and show bolt holes they (some of them) set the counterbore depth to any old size. So that when we go to drill the holes we almost always have to check the counterbore depth, using VisView to see the depth, and make adjustments accordingly so that there is 1.5 X diameter of thread engaged.

What I'm trying to get, is some way for them to set the counterbore automatically and insert a logo that can be read from a plan view (we still use prints). So that I can see at a glance that I need to drill and counterbore this hole, 21/32" dia and c/bore 2 1/4" from the bottom. The logo would also tell me what length of bolt to use, all this without having to go to a side view.

Is there a "library" function of UG where these kind of items can be stored and pulled and inserted into a block. Or is there another way?

I talked to one of the designers about this but got nowhere. They are very concerned about hours, and he thought that this would be more time consuming.

As I say, I don't have a great deal of exposure to UG but I would have thought it should be able to do this with some ease.

Sorry for being so long winded.
smiley4.gif

Ray

Edited by: Dieman

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back