Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Promote Body and Wave Link Geometry

hareeshtd

Hi guys

Can anybody tell me the difference between Promote Body and Wave Link Geometry.

As per my knowledge I can state the following differences

1.The type of geometry linked in case of Wave Link Geometry include points,curves,sketcher/strings,faces,regions,body,mirror body,datums

In case of promote body (as the name itself indicates) only bodies are linked

2.If u MB3 the Promote Body and click Edit Parameters and click 'create link' button the Promoted Body becomes Wave link geometry but the reverse is not possible(i.e.wave link geometry to promote body -obviously!!)

3.The Work Part must be assembly in case of Promote body whereas the Workpart can be an assembly or a component in case of Wave Link Geometry

Apart from these differences both commands work in the same way,then why two commands?

More thana few years ago in Ug, you couldn't do assembly level modeling unless you Promoted the body upwards into the assenbly. Example - Let's say you have a casting that you want to show a drawing for the raw casted part as well as the finished machined part. You would first make the raw casted part and then add it as a component to the machined part level and promote it so that you culd then add/subtract features to it. You maintain seperate files/part numbers but they remained linked to each other.

A few years ago, UG introduced WAVE technology. Which allowed you to do the same sort of modeling practices that you had with promoting but with far greater abilities to manage the linking of points, curves, sketcher/strings, faces, regions, bodies, datums and so on.

My practice has lead mee to use WAVE linking far more than just promoting a body.

Hope this helps,

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back