Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Motion Study using Segment motor

omarhernandez

Hello,

THis is my first solidworks posting, being a pro/e user for some years.

I am trying to simulate a part moving in an assy usinga motor with the motion set to segments (i import a txt file containg x (time)and y (displacement)). THe part will be moving in 3 directions x y and z (3 seperate motor files) I want to use planes the the references. (ie asr right to part right, asm top to part top ect)

A few questions:

1. What kind of mates should i use? (parallel or linear/linear coupler)

2. I can create the motor file succesfully but can never see it in the timing graph at the bottom of the screen. How do i insert the created motor in the graph?

Thanks
Edited by: omarhernandez

Omar,

I've never tried this before, but I was able to get it working within a few minutes...

1. I used parallel for the frt/frt, rt/rt, and top/top planes. This establishes the orientation of the part within the assembly. no other mates are needed, as it's location will be driven by the motors.

2. Not sure why it's not showing up for you... Just insert a new motor, change the type to linear, change the motion to "data points" and insert your file (I just created the point list from within the "function builder"). I did this 2 more times for the 2 other directions, then renamed them to X, Y, and Z. Here's my animation graph:

View attachment 5938

And here's the button for inserting a new motor:

View attachment 5939

Try it again and let us know how it works...

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Jimshaw,

Yes i got it to as well thanks for you help. I have one question for you though. Have you ever used pro/e?

I am looking for something similar to the pro/e command "regen value" which is used in mechanism. Other cad packages might call it initial value or initial condition.

That value is used as a distance from two faces or two planes that were used in the parallel mate. If you enter 5, every time you click rebuild the planes will move back to that 5 value

Thanks

Omar,

I've used Pro/E for many years.

I think in this case, you'll need to just position the part(s) to their initial conditions beforehand - and this can be done using either direct modeling techniques (move/rotate part) or by establishing the proper mate (i.e. converting the parallel mate to an offset of 5) and then deleting the mate.

Make sense?

The parts should return to their normal state if you get out of the "motion study" tab.

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Yes i did this to make it work, but if I have to modify the position its going to be a hassle to change from parallel and offset then back to parallel. For one part that might not be an issue but when i have to do it to 50 - 100 parts it becomes a headache.

Is there another way?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back