Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Problem with defining material.

IHAStudent

Hello all,

I have made a simple 3D model and trying to do an analysis of this in SW Simulation.
I have defined material in the part itself and setup the constraints and load situation.

When I click Mesh and run it tells me I have not defined the material. I have tried defining this in the simulation tool itself, but it has the same outcome.

I am using SW 2010/2011 Education Edition.

Any idea on how I fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Edited by: IHAStudent

While defining the material inside SimulationXpress, what does SolidWorks say below the Material-tab? Does it say: "No material has been specified" or does it inform you about the chosen material? Make sure you selected the Apply button. I know this sounds a bit silly but it happened to me once.

Hello Raoul.

Thanks for your time.

In SimulationXpress nothing happens and it doesnt matter how many times I click apply. I can only change material outside of SimulationXpress and like I stated earlier SimulationXpress will not accept this for some reason.

I am a student and my teacher has looked at it too. He saids it is very strange and he dont know what to do. I have searched the web wide and I can see others that have had the same problem but no solution. Repair of SW installation or reinstall doesnt help either. It is a strange problem indeed and earlierI havemadeother parts and simulations that work fine with material apply.

Edited by: IHAStudent

This is indeed a very strange issue. If other parts with the same materialat the same computer work ok, it is clear that there is an error in the file. I dont know if you have the ability to test this file at other installations of SolidWorks? (different computer)

What happens if you make a new part file and insert the model into it? This technique is problematic if you want to edit your model in future, but maybe it is a solution for using SimulationXpress after you finished modeling.

Actually I tried making the same model twize. The model is fairly simple so it didnt take me long to do a new part. It still have the same problem.

I think i will try to install SW on another computer and see if it will also have the problem. Then I will return and write what I find out.

hi everyone

IN my words i think that first you delete the mesh then apply material and do meshing then finally solve you can get results by doing so If it gives error intimate me

i will install swand check at my end presently i dont have sw

Edited by: sandy0075

Hi all. Thanks for all the replies.

Well to complicate things more suddenly i was able to change material in the simulation. I have had no problems since so right now everything is fine here.

I just wish I knew what the problem was for next time it happens....

I wish you knew too. Im having the same problem and cant seem to find a straight answer to this. let me know if u figured out why the matiral works now.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back