Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

roll-up garage door

re1mo

Hi!
I've been trying to assemble a few parts to animate them as a sliding garage door. The parts are the bus bar (for both sides) and the door module. The thing is, I am trying to mate the parts so that later in assembly motion i would be able to slide the connected door modules along the bus bar. What I used was coincident mate between two edges of door modules, a coincident mate between the face of a module and the bus bar and a path mate between a point on the door module and the inner-edge of the bus bar. While animating, the modules (abt 10) get messed up and the animation is a wreck. There are no mate errors though. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hello,
If the motion is parallel I would add a parallel mate to keep the doors straight. The fewer mates you use the better!
bdzin

Then I believe you should set up cam and path mates. I understand that the 'following' of the mate is not perfect or exactly true but it should be sufficient for your animation.

re1mo,

I think you could create points at the center of the bus bar rollers on each panel, and create a coincident mate between those points and centerline splines of the bus bars. In between each panel, you should use concentric mates at the hinges.

Judging by your description in your original post, it sounds like the asm is underconstrained.

Does this make sense?

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back