Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Change Custom Properties out of SolidWork

ddanny

Change Custom Properties out of SolidWork
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Hi,
Is it possible to change Custom Properties of SolidWorks without having SolidWorks?
I tell you why: I make all the drawings and my supervisor likes to approve the drawings. At this moment hi approve the drawing on paper and later I have to change the name and date of the approval.
So my question is it possible that my supervisor can make the changes by himself?

Thanks,
Danny

In SW on Custom prop. add the properties that you want to change. In win explorer select the file and from contextual menu select properties and Custom and you can change prop.

Dear Danny

One solution for this problem can be as follows:

Before giving the Drawing files for approval keep a track of all the properties (that you need)of the SolidWorkPart and Assembly filesin an excel sheet.

This can be easily done using a macro which would read the Custom Properties of the SolidWork files.

Once your supervisor has approved the drawings, request him to update the values of "EnggApprovalDate" and "ApprovedBy" properties in the excel sheet.

After this is done, use another macro which will update the properties of the SolidWorks Files after reading the Values from the Excel file.

The solution that I have suggested requires a little bit of programming but will save a lot of time.
smiley1.gif

Edited by: Pooja_Sahay

< http-equiv="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12">

Hi all

Thanks for your tips.

I have no programming skills...

Is there an existing macro that I can use to start?

Best
regards,

Danny

Hi, when I change the properties with win explorer and I open it with the solidworks viewer than is the drawing not up to date!
Is there a solution for that?<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Best regards,
Danny

As far as I know there is no way around it. Once you change properties you are making changes to the SWs file itself which has not been saved by SW. The process is very similar to you editing custom properties by opening SW itself.

< http-equiv="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12">

Hi Amar,

Thanks for
your tip. I found one way and that is with the SolidWorks task scheduler.

Now I am looking for a solution how to start the task scheduler from another
user.

I don’t know if it is possible?

Danny

We the peoples
why approve my drawings.

I like to start the task scheduler from those computers without using my pc.

We are on the same server but so maybe there is a way.

If that is possible then I can create also pdf drawings with the task
scheduler.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back