Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What setup do you reco for my situation??

willie1280

Ok, what setup do you guys reco?

I have a project that involves about 30 files, each in the 25-40MB avg range. Working with them individually isn't a big issue in 2009, but when i need them all in a assembly, thats when i run into problems. Usually i get locked up, out of memory or something along those lines.

So, i want to build a new system... What will allow me to work with large assemblies better??? More RAM? 64bit XP? Better CPU (Processor)???

Right now i have home built system, XP home 32bit, 4gb ram, 2009 SW, Nvidia 8600 GT 512MB, Core 2 Duo (3GHZ).

Edited by: willie1280

Ok, so here is what I am thinking. Since my CPU seems to be pretty decent from the research i have done, i may keep that. I may dump my XP for XP pro 64bit. Then i will add 4 more GB of DDR2 dual channel ram since its cheap. I will then get a Nvidia card say a Quadro 1700,3400,3500 or 4600 series.

That should make this baby move right?

You should use the QuickView option and Lightweight when opening the files. In 2009 You can use Display states for specific groups of components to use for designing in context. When you hide parts in 2009 You can Right Click and choose to unload the hidden part data to lighten the load on system resources.

First thing I'd recommend is to turn on Software Open-GL in Tools > System (Options) > Performance this will improve performace but reduce display quality and ability to use MAgnifying Glass tool.

The quick view option when used with the File Open dialog will show you preview data of components in the Assembly and let you select a few parts to open and have the remaining part files hidden and unloaded. IF you select one of these hidden Parts to edit the part will be loaded as needed.

Another thing you can do is create simplified Configurations for any parts. I assume at 40MB file sizes they are rather complex with advanced surface features or many pattern features. If you do have patterned features try to enable Geometry pattern when possible to reduce rebuild times and file size.

Keep in mind for video cards the more memory the Cards have will decrease the available 4GB of memory you have for SolidWorks. 64bit will definately help on the memory front and you won't have to deal with Vista which in itself has severe performance implications.

Windows methodology: "If it is broke make it broker."

Michael

all the files are imported geometry. they were all done in Catia i think. so when you first open the stp or iges files i got, you either get a good file with solid bodies or a bad file with all surfaces and maybe some solid bodies. obvioously i am try to fix it so they are solid bodies.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back