Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

COSMOSworks analysis on an arch bridge

ploter07

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to this forum! Just wanted to ask some of youguys on Cosmosworks as I've had many attempts on this one, and am still failing to find a solution.

I want to apply a uniformly distributed load (UDL) on a regular circular arch (just a flat extruded strip in an arch form drawn in solidworks).

The UDL is a "vertical" load on the structure. However, I do not want the load to be normal to the top surface. I want the vertical load to be applied uniformly distributed across the "span" of the structure (horizontal plane)and notactuallyacross the"arch length"(curve).

I'm struggling hardwith this one as there doesnt seem to be a function for this. However the UDL across the "arch length" can be very easily done as there is a function for this.

Thanks alot for reading this!

Hope some of you experts out there can help me :)

I don't know if you guys understood what I just wrote lol.

Yes, they are both vertical forces and seem to be the same (on span, and on arch length)

But there is a difference between the vertical load across the "span" compared to the vertical load on the "arch length". That is why I want to know how to apply the load across the "horizontal" (span of arch bridge).

If I understand you, simply select the surface of your arch. Under the
definition of the force Type, choose Apply force/moment. Then choose a
reference surface, such as a horizontal plane. Finally, in the same
Force dialog, choose Normal to Plane ( from among 3 choices ) which
directs the force to be normal to the horizontal reference plane, but
still applied on the arch you already specified. The Force arrows will
confirm which direction the force is applied.

Hope that helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back