Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SW mirror part....

design-engine

I am talking Solidworks here.....

1 Mirror items in sketch to make a mirrored part. < I hate this technqie

2 Mirror features to get mirrored features on a part. < doable when nessessary

3 Mirror the entire part around a mirror plane to get symetric part. < I like the best

4 Mirror an entire part to get an exact separat part that is mirrored. < this updates ok for everyone? How many ways is there to do this last task?
Edited by: design-engine

Design-Engine

4 This does NOT update ok.

I created a mirror part in a top level assembly of a sheet metal panel and added two spot-welded brackets to the panel in the top level assembly. To create the sub-assembly of the panel and brackets I selected the panel and brackets and did a "right-click", "form new sub-assembly here". And that is where the associativity was terminated. It appeared the reference could be found, though it says it is still there (I checked this by trying to edit the part "in context" - the correct top level assembly opens).I recently had another similar problem which was forwarded on to SW for analysis.

Bottom line, SolidWorks references are terrible - whether you're talking about a sketch or a base part. They always fail. The "work around" is to simply do it over.

sheet metal does not update on mirror. im suprised you even got it to work.

The "work around" is to simply do it over. ... lol. sounds like the Pro/E way of life.

Is the not working part a software bug or a software feature?
smiley36.gif

I actually find myself doing things over in SW much more often than in ProE. I believe this is due to the fact that SW uses silhouette edges for sketches and ProE aligns to surfaces. Offset edges most often

Hi everybody
The mirror works very well in SW. The only exception is that does not recreate the mates on the mirrored parts or subassembly.
I try to recreate (if I understand it well) the problem with the subassembly and it works and preserve the relations between the parts

Post an image

Nucu

SW2007 sp4.0

If it recreated the mates it would then theoretically allow you to change the mates hence negating the whole point of the mirror in the first place...

I think that the mates in an assembly refers to the position of the part or subassembly in the top assembly not to the geometrical shape of the mirrored part contained in the subassembly. I understand that only one part have a right and a left version.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back