Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

directory structure

piperflyer

My company designs and builds custom machinery. Each customer has a main directory on our server. For example; The George Bush Oil Company might have a main directory named GBO. The first job we do for that company would be GBO01. The second job we do for that company would be GBO02...etc.

I'm looking for advice on an appropriate directory structure and file naming convention for SolidWorks files, associated DWG files, PDF files etc that would be placed under the main job directory. i.e. GBO01.

Consideration must be given ease of naming files (least amount of clicking around the directory structure), ease in finding files by edrawing users(sales and managers)and Pack-n-Go procedures.

We're not ready for PDM works yet. Thanks in advance....

Tom Holder [email protected]

Even you are not ready for PDM software is the only right solution to yours problems

Nucu

I don't know about your directory structure, but our naming convention is something like this:

For company developed drawings and parts: CompanyName ######, where # are numerical digits only (i.e., Essex 200456). The numbers are sequential and are pulled from an excel log where we created a macro to enable multiple users to open the shared workbook without overwriting each others data. The drawing and part have identical names.

For COTS parts: CompanyName #####. An example would be McMaster 9989K54.

For standards driven parts, we simply use the standard as the base parts, and then name the configuration the part number as defined by the standard. An example using NAS620- name the part file NAS620, then the configurations in the part would have names like NAS620C2 as defined by the standard.

With wise use of the description parameter, you can make it easy for theuser to find the part they are looking for.

It's good that you are thinking this through before implementing PDM, because this will have to be thought out anyway.

i would reconsider using PDM works. I have been and Admin for many years and PDMworks is one of the easiest to set up and maintain. I currently just utilize numbers. numbers for all part files. PDMworks allows you to fill in other customized fields, description, drawn by, date created, material, etc. It's great for reports and looking up files. I'd reconsider it especially on a new installation. Sit down, figure a naming/numbering convension and go for it.

good luck ...
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back