Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

problems fully defining a part

RMS1

Hi people!

I am new to SoilidWorks and I just finished my first class, we were all drawing a lesson and it seems like the biggest problem was getting the drawing "fully defined" does anyone have any suggestions to help us out on this?

Thanks!

Edited by: RMS1

I assume you mean to say your 2D sketch isn't fully defined since the 2D sketch is the base for making a model. I always try to think ahead before I draw line one and imagine what type of extruding feature would work best to construct the part. For example if you wanted to make a golfball.... the easiest way to start would be a revolve extrude with the center point of ball at the origin. So I would draw the first line with the midpoint constrained to the origin. That is how I start a sketch, but there are almost twenty sketch relations constraints besides the dimensions of course. One way to cut down on extra dimensions and clutter is to draw lines starting or ending at the origin instead having your sketch in middle of nowhere. As a last resort use the "FIX" relation and you can find a "fully define" icon in your dimension toolbar which will define with a dimension anything else that is still blue(undefined).

ridein said:
I assume you mean to say your 2D sketch isn't fully defined since the 2D sketch is the base for making a model. I always try to think ahead before I draw line one and imagine what type of extruding feature would work best to construct the part. For example if you wanted to make a golfball.... the easiest way to start would be a revolve extrude with the center point of ball at the origin. So I would draw the first line with the midpoint constrained to the origin. That is how I start a sketch, but there are almost twenty sketch relations constraints besides the dimensions of course. One way to cut down on extra dimensions and clutter is to draw lines starting or ending at the origin instead having your sketch in middle of nowhere. As a last resort use the "FIX" relation and you can find a "fully define" icon in your dimension toolbar which will define with a dimension anything else that is still blue(undefined).

Ok, great thanks for the tips! Its funny you mentioned golfball because the Titleist plant is in my area. I once saw a mold for one and its amazing in detail.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back