Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Interview with Matt Lombard (SW07 Bible)

folini

Hi,
Recently I had the pleasure to interview Matt Lombard, a SolidWorks expert and the author of SolidWorks 2007 Bible just published by Wiley.

If you don't know Matt, not only he is a SolidWorks guru, he also deeply understand the problems and the processes of mechanical design. During the interview he discuss a few interesting topics such as:

* The reasons for the slow transition from 2D to 3D
* The evolution of parametric feature-based CAD systems
* The emerging new CAD technologies, such as SpaceClaim

In my opinion it's a very interesting interview, very technical. I would recommend it to every mechanical CAD user. You can read it on the Novedge blog.

Let me know your impressions and opinions.

Franco Folini

did he talk about trajpar variables and the ability to drive curves and surfaces via equations? or surfacing? Ill check it out. Sounds like an advertisement to me. Matt Lombard looks kinda fat to me. Does he talk about how CAD guys drink a lot of mountain due and the cause and effect of getting fat from using CAD? Ok.. Ill have another REDBULL please.

Edited by: design-engine

Bart,
For SolidWorks commands, variables, etc. we have Help files, plenty of documentation, and now Matt's great book.
This interview is about CAD technologies and their impact on the design process.

The interview is advertising SolidWorks (?) or the book (?) as much your post is promoting Redbull.

Franco

IMHO you should stop destroying your liver with such a disgusting drink.

--------- WARNING ------
This forum has serious security problems. I never posted the message above.
Be Aware, every time you read a post here, it may have been altered or completely changed by the administrators or by someone with administrator privileges.

I requested the message to be removed ASAP.

Franco Folini

I have reviewed the Matt's table of contents book. I'm interested in if there are some advices to build complex surfaces in detal and to use mold tools to design parts easly. I have some problems with complex parametric surfaces to build comlpex mold models.

To design-engine: This forum is for SolidWorks users, not for folks who are enamored by user-hostile software written by anal retentives, which is what Pro/E is. We don't wear Nazi boots here, and enjoy using a forgiving product that is easy to learn and use - even when regeneration failures occur. Yeah, maybeSolidWorks doesn't have all the sophisicated high-end functionality (yet)that pretentious Pro/E users like you brag about, but mostCAD usersdon't need that stuff. So we'll stick to this lovely Windows-based product with beautiful graphics that lets us enjoy our work, and you can go off and struggle with your Unix-based leviathan and it's ghostly images on another message board.

Yeah, I have run (and am still running) both: at least four years on each. For practical MCAD, SolidWorks is a vastly superior product. Small wonder it's kicking Pro/E's butt, and users like you are getting edgy about all the converts who have snuck off to more suitable software. And all the new users who quickly see how much easier other CAD packages are to learn.

Mindripper said:
Yeah, maybeSolidWorks doesn't have all the sophisicated high-end functionality (yet)that pretentious Pro/E users like you brag about, but mostCAD usersdon't need that stuff.

sorry to notice this a year later. Your right. I just get frustrated with those industrial designers who like the look of the tools and not what the software can do. less red bull and more tube time. ;)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back