Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Slice Equivalent

1twopass

First of all, I am going to apologize in advance for looking for Solidworks commands similar to those already present in AutoCad.
But hey, I'm in the middle of a paradigm shift. Im trying.

Anyways back to the question...

I am looking for a way to Slice a part and keep both halves. I have tried using the extruded cut feature with a line but can seem to keep both sides. maybe there is something i have missed.

i have no clue haha. can't you just got back to the original drawings and copy that half and then re extrude it? description of the part would be nice.

I did just go back and re do it. Usually when I ask a question I am told that the answer is yes. Solid works is that awesome.

As far as the part description: right now its just a 4 sided box that i made using the shell function. Because this box would be made out of Plywood or MDF I wanted to try and break it up into the individual sides. A slice type function, or extrude cut with a line would work.

It sounds like you need to split the part on a plane, and it sounds from your first attempt with cut-extrude that you've already got either a reference plane positioned and oriented as required.

You should look in the help file under 'split', because there are quite a lot of options. To actually do it, it's under Insert > Features > Split. Then choose your reference plane as your 'Trim Tool' then click on 'Cut Part'.

Then click on the 2 (or more) parts that you want to keep to get them listed in the 'Resulting Bodies' window, and you'll probably also want to click on 'Show Bodies' also, and finally click on the OK button.

And that's the quick and easy way without making new files for the new parts!

1tpass

I am also an autocad user mostly in 2d for production floor drawings. This is what i do - example. create sketch circle in top view then dimension it, extrude to a length click ok then select the face right click mouse (rcm) to Insert sketch- sketch a square or circle extrude it to a length uncheck "Merge" click ok then go to pull down menu Insert-features-combine-check subtract select the main features and thats it.

Or heres another one example create a square on top view, extrude, rcm to face -insert sketch draw a line or arc or spline or circle or whatever make it longer to previous sketched then click pull down menu Insert-cut-extrude select the sketch and thats it you can play around it.... I am also a beginner on this solidworks and all i can say it has nth power ..
smiley17.gif

chris booth thanks for your help....
I had a hard time actually finding my Split tool. It was hiding with in Customize. I got lucky I guess.
But wow, what an awesome tool. Slice was always my favorite tool in AutoCad. I am glad that Solidworks has provided me with an equal if not better friend. Slicing and Spliting is great for those who have no idea what their making while they are doing it. sometimes you need to just cut something up.

maghago, your method sounds interesting and complicated. Check out the Split tool. And Chris is right about the help menu on this one.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back