Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Large radius bends and joining

bazanaius

Hey guys, Im trying to make a part that someone else has sent me using sheet metal. They extruded it but I want to make it sheet and fold it up.

My trouble is how do I get the part to bend? I am a relative newbie to the sheetmetal part of solidworks, but I guess I'd make a net (e.g. to start just a long rectangluar sheet) and then roll the ends up with a large radius? But I cant seem to get this to work at all...

any ideas?

Try doing an 'insert bend'. It will ask you for a stationary face. You should be able to select one face and the part will be created as a sheet metal part.

Steve

I don't appear to have the 'insert bend' function - I have hem, mitre flange, edge flange, sketched bend, closed corner, jog and break corner.

currently doing it by making a large hem, but obviously I can only do this at the end of the sheet Im using, so I have to currently insert a plate to create the second flat surface to join the two arcs.

I've tried uploading the file but it wont work - basically its a chain guard, so two arcs joined by two flat sections. I figured I could make it as a single plate and just fold it in large arcs where I wanted to, then it would all join up and hey presto..

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back