Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

How can I use one drawing for many assemb

Hristov

Hello,

I created drawing of assembly in 2007. Now I must make little changes in this assembly and create new drawing. Assembly is 300 MB. In 2006 I used find references and become new assembly and drawings, than I changed the name in the old folder and redirected the references the new drawing to the new assembly and everething was o.k. but now in 2007 there is a problem. Does someone know how I can use one drawing for different assemblies?
smiley1.gif

Thanks in advance

Chris
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley10.gif

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but it sounds like you want toreference (or add) a different part or assembly to a drawing:

Insert > Drawing View > Model...

In the Model View PropertyManager: Click "Browse..."

In the dialog box browse to the part or assembly you want to add, click open; place the view and any projections.

I hope this helps.

Peter

I'll give you this example. I have a car without gears and accessoaries.This is my first assembly and first drawing. For other client I must create second assembly and drawing with gears and accessoaries. I want to use first drawing for the second assemblyb because there are more than 100 position, section viewsand explanations about welding standarts, colours and so on :), which I should use in the second drawing too.
smiley1.gif

Regards

Chris

Maybe you tried this already:

In your Assembly, create two Configurations, one without gearsand the second with gears.

Open the drawing, then use Save As to create a second drawing of a different name.

Open the second drawing, and change the Configuration of each view. A pain yes, but not as involved as changing models, and all your created views, sections, etc. will not have to be recreated.

Peter

Thank's a lot SSlaser,

I tryied your advise. It works perfect :). I used configurations just for parts. Have read somewhere that using configurations makes assembly heavier and the file opens slowly. But now I see it isn't so. I read also that using design table for configurations makes the files not that big as using just configuration. Is this right? Once again thank you very much
smiley1.gif

Regards

Chris

I haven't noticed any degradation in performance when using configurations, but it sounds like my assemblies are not even close to being as complex as yours.

I use configurations whenever I can.Perhapsconfigurations slows opening very large assmblies, but it saves me a lot of work and reduces the chances for error- I don't have to do an entirefabrication drawing for every variation of a part or assembly. Plus, it is much quicker when swapping out parts in an assembly- it keeps all assembly references.

Glad I could help.

Peter

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back