Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

volume calculation

beuys77

i'm designing a plastic storage container and need to scale it to have a specific internal volume. is there a function that helps me calculate that? i'm striking out.

thanks.

I don't know of a certain function that will help you do that. What I would do in this situation is model the actual volume as a part first, and then build the container around that using in-context references.

In combination with the advice given by bmcelyea, What I've done in the past is create the volume as a separate component in an assembly with the bottle. You can then use the standard property "volume" to monitor the voume of the internal "stuff." If this project is something you do all the time, as in you design a lot of blow-molded bottles for example, you might consider using Excel to drive the bottle dimensions to arrive at the correct volume.

Hello,

Maybe it's a little late but have you tried the function Mass properties from the Tool menu? Here the volume is calculated.

With regards

Joop

A couple of good pieces of advice have already been posted so take this one from a relative newbie to Solidworks. I recently had the need to do a volume calculation of a speaker container. I noticed that the Mass Properties listed the material making up the part as stated in another post and I needed a solution.

In this case I was lucky, I had created the container using Shell. I simply subtracted the part volume from the volume of the part after I unsuppressed Shell.

I hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back