Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

"not in context"

Teresa

I have only been using SolidWorks at my company for 3 months without any formal training so I may sound a little ignorant if not a lot. We have a very large file of over 300Mb so in order to make it smaller I have been taking the common pieceof the part and combining it with the other half to make a whole part. When I do some of the files say that the parts are not in context and there is a ? after the name in the feature manager tree. The ones thatare in contextwant me to save them when I close them out. If I do, when I reopen them, they will be out of context. I don't know if I should leave them that way or not. If I find the parts and resave them the file gets larger and that is not what we are wanting. If someone could enlighten me as to what is the best solution I would really apprecate it a lot

Sincerly,

Teresa
smiley5.gif

you might have worked in a top down assemblly fashion.

u have created a part usingrelation with assembly(insert\new component).So when ever you open the part alone it will come as out of context.Go to the feature which having symbol * or ? or >. that is the feature referenced externally.Edit the sketch to remove external constrain.This will solve you the problem

For more details go thru Help in the topic External reference

Note:First of all place you query in appropriate forum.That why you issues are unanswered.

hi....

if u r making that part by using other parts(insert part in part itself and giving 3 constraints) then there is linking between those parts so that file size is very huge..and it increases as many times u open that file.

So do one thing if i am correct to guess u r prob.

Just right click on the part name in left hand model tree and select list the references ....then break that references....and then save os save as then file size will reduce..

thanks

Koustubh

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back