Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Making grooves in cylindrical objects?

Cape.Z.

I'm modelling a knob in SolidWorks, but I can't figure out how to extrude the small grip grooves at the slightly angeled side of the knob.
Anyone have a clue?
Here is a picture:
d_2472.gif

Edited by: Cape.Z.

Actually there is an easy way to do it, first start the knob body as a cylinder, then make a rectangular sketch on any of the planes (i.e. Front plane), extrude that sketch untill it comes out from one side of your cylinder with the measurement you need, then create an axis (insert-reference geometry axis) using two planes, choose front and left planes and create an axis in the middle of your cylinder, then go to (insert-pattern/mirror-circular pattern, use your axis as middle, on the angle use 360/number of grooves you want to create including the first one you created, write the quantity of grooves you want, choose the extrude you made as features to pattern and voil

Thanks a million. You are probably right that it's easy, but I don't quite understand the logic of what you just told me. Might explain to me what the "steps" do? ( For example the creating of a rectangle inside (?) the cylinder.

Edited by: Cape.Z.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back