Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

HELP!! Unwraping a Tubular Part

greg_piercey

Hello All,

I have some complex joints of tubular parts which intersect at odd angles. I would like to unwrap each tube to a flat view such that a template can be printed for fabrication. I once did this sort of thing in Inventor by creating the tube with a thin slice removed and then using sheet metal to flatten it. I have attempted a similar method in Solidworks 2004, but to no avail, it will not allow me to create a sheet metal bend from the hollow cylinder. I'm fairly new to Solidworks, but have used both Inventor and Pro/E before. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to approach this problem? Any Help would be Appreciated!! Thanks.

-Greg

I just tried this with a sample part... The trick with cylinders is to pick a straight edge of the tube (rather than a flat "base" surface) as you insert Sheet Metal Bends. Good luck!
Adam

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back