Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Model in the Drawing View

Mother

Good Day People,

I have many models of the same part but of different materials. I know I could make configurations but it is my employers standard to have a separatefile for each part number. I have made one drawing and now I would like to take the initial view of that drawing and replace it witha different modelso itrepopulates the drawing views to save myself from creating a different drawing from scratch for each part. I have encountered this before and had to go through a tedious process of creating a new drawing for each part. I'm sure that I will need toaccomplish this in the future as well. Has anyone successfully done something like this? I am using 2005 and the material block of the sheet format is populated from the model's properties.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Hello

For this you best use Solidworks Explorer.

- Start Solidworks explorer

- browse to the drawing you want to copy (test1.slddrw)

- select test1 at the left of the screen and RMB select copy

- at the To: rule type the name of the copy you want to create (test2.slddrw) andclick apply.

Now you have created a copy of the original drawing but the references of this new drawing are pointing to the old model. You have to change this as follow:

-Browse to the new drwing you have created. (test2.slddrw)

next to the preview you see a drawing icon named test2 below there is a part icon with the name test1 (2x) ((2x) is number of views on the drawing.

- Select test1 (2x) and RMBselect replace

- at the end of the With: rule select Browse and select the part you want to connect with the drawing. (test2.sldprt)

- set the searchrules and click find now

- deselect the file test1.slddrw and click apply

- select the drawing icon test2 RMB and select Open file in Solidworks

- At the error click Yes

Save the drawing. (you now completed the proces)

Good luck

Joop

I have had another look andI maybe found another way to solve your problem

You can save your first drawing as a drawing template.:

- File menu => save as => select Drawing Templates (*.drwdot) in the save as rule and click save

- open another part.

- Click Make Drawing from Part/Assembly
tool_Make_Drawing_Standard.gif
on the Standard toolbar.

- You can now choose your new created template.

I think this i much more easier to do.

Good luck

Joop

Here it is another method
After you create the first drawing save it and close it.
Now use the Open command and in the dialog box just select the drawing file.
Use the reference button, dbl-click the name of the model file that your drawing reference and select another model file.
Open the drawing file and use save as or save aas copy.

smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back