Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Relative views?

c4col

How do I create a relative view of a circular extrusion on a model??

SW only allows you to select 1 face (front?)

Cheers.

Hello,

Solidworks starts with a frontview. you can select another view under orientation.

For an alterative way go to Menu => drawing view => modelview.

If you are new at solidworks try the online tutorial in the help menu first. Here you can learn the lesson about drawings.

Enjoy

Thanks Joop, but I know how to add views
smiley2.gif
what I'm having a problem with is adding a Relative view of a part which is round. SW asks for 2 FLAT planes to be selected, but, since the profile is round you can only select the front or rear face. The second face is a curve.

Oke, i'm sorry.

I think I have a problem with understanding what you want to do. Probebly because English is not my native language .

So I searched in the help file for relative view and your right you need 2 orthogonal faces. Can you try to explane to me why you want to use the relative view and not a standard view for something thats just round.

Maybe there's a work around for what you want by creating a new view in your 3D model and use that view in your drawing.

Joop, No problem, your English will be better than my Dutch!

I have a model created with several weldment details on it. I want to show a view of one of the welment parts. Quite a common requirement which is why I think it should be possible.

1 work around I've used is to create a small face on the curved surface, and reference that face. Not a clean solution but it works.

Cheers,

Col

IF I understand this problem correctly..........

Couldn't you just create a plane ( I often use the normal to curve plane option after just drawing a sketch) that is tangent to your curved surface and is centered around whatever weldment you want highlighted?

And I shouldv'e added ....

You could use the newly created plane as one of the required planes needed for the relative view along with one of your conventional primary planes.

Ridein,

thanks but I can't select a plane as SW is asking for a face and won't let me select a plane. Or a I missing something?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back